2003 Tahoe with soft brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HSpencer

Reaction score
Anyone else got this problem? I have 85K on my 03 Tahoe. I have been trying for two years to get a brake job. Everywhere I go, including the Chevy dealer, looks at them and says the brakes are great, many miles left in them, no sense in doing anything to them. Got new tires last week. I just knew my friends at this shop would pull a brake job for me. Went to pick it up expecting a brake job and "No, your brakes are fine"!
So I say this to them:

OK, the pedal goes down too much when applying the brakes.
Answer: Tahoes are heavy vehicles and the brake engineering is too light.

OK, I have to come down with both feet at times in panic stops,
Answer: That is due to the antilock brakes on Tahoes.

I can't get a brake job. Compared to my 04 Silverado, The Tahoe brakes are very soft, and long pedal travel. You just look at the brake pedal on the Silverado and you start stopping!!! Just toe touch the Silverado and your braking. Both feet for hard stops on the Tahoe

Anyone else find this true? My Tahoe has been checked by:
A chevy dealer
Two independant shops
A very reputable tire shop
All say the same thing: "Brakes are fine".

bullitt124

Reaction score
i also have a 2003 tahoe and understand what ur talking about. i felt the same way u feel about the pedal too soft and long travel, what helped for my truck is bleeding the brake system, brake fluid flush.

SWTZ71

Reaction score
I had the same issue. I ended up replacing front and rear with EBC slotted and drilled rotors. I t was a night and day difference. But i would do just slotted next time I hear they are a bit better..
Hope this helped.

rawlz

Reaction score
i know this is a good while after the fact, but if you are still having this issue, it very much sounds like you need to bleed your brakes. You may have meaty pads and a nice thick rotor, but if you have air or water in your lines, since they are compressible, they will compress before the piston pushes on the pads.

Ideally, you want to bleed your brakes annually do to moisture usually building up. Also, if you live in hot climates or tow something heavy that requires you to stop a lot and heat up your brakes, you might want to consider going with a fluid that has a high boiling point. Boiling your fluid causes air to get into your lines. Also, water in your fluid lowers the boiling point of your fluid.