2005 Tahoe Auxiliary Cooler line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blk00ss

Reaction score
Upper (on radiator) tranny cooler line is leaking where it crimps and goes from rubber to hard line. Already have new line. Planning on removing grill to gain access to cooler where line goes in. The fittings have those little wire spring retainers things. Can those be removed with flat blade? Do you just hook the end of the wire and pop em out?

And....does this line pass coolant? I don't understand why it connects to the back side of the radiator. Its leaking tranny fluid only so my assumption is no it doesn't pass coolant but why does it connect to radiator?

Last edited:

Prospect62

Reaction score
That's funny, mine just sprung a leak in the exact same spot. Where did you get your new line from?

Looks to me like a flat blade would take them out.

The lines pass tranny fluid. The tranny fluid is routed through tunbes in the radiator and then back to the tranny. These tubes are independent of the coolant passages.

Keep me posted on this, I need to do mine soon.

blk00ss

Reaction score
That's funny, mine just sprung a leak in the exact same spot. Where did you get your new line from?

Looks to me like a flat blade would take them out.

The lines pass tranny fluid. The tranny fluid is routed through tunbes in the radiator and then back to the tranny. These tubes are independent of the coolant passages.

Keep me posted on this, I need to do mine soon.

I already did mine. I got the new line from my local Chevy dealer for like $25. It wasn't hard, I removed the grill witch takes all of about 30 seconds. The line I replaced was the upper one on the radiator then it routed down and forward and went into the passenger side of the auxilary cooler. The toughest part was routing the stupid line. Snaking it through here and up and over this part and blah blah blah was a pain. I don't even have any tips for you on that part, I just kept bending it around till it was in place. What I can tell you is I pulled the old line off and removed from bottom side of vehicle. When I put the new one in I fed it through the front above and behind the bumper and snaked it in and up and connected to the radiator. I hope this helps. Easy job, just a pain to route the line.

blk00ss

Reaction score
Sounds good, thanks.

You bet. One other thing, if you haven't already watch this video about the fittings. They're odd but not hard to take out or put back on. They have basically a wire spring that fits into the groove which keeps the line in tact. They recommend a hook tool for removal but I had a slotted screw driver that had the tip broke and it got the spring out with no issues. Not hard to put back on, just odd. Also...I removed air box and disconnected intake tube at throttle body for better angle, more clearance and also for routing line back in to have more room.

here is the video I learned about the spring fittings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcP3FbDGL_o