2007 Yukon Fog Light Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, RT, I just said I was done with the driving lights. I still wanna do LEDs inside and out (no incandescent bulbs). I also want a dual rear-exit exhaust system, but I'll have to go custom as no one makes a kit yet for the 6.2L. I'll get the longer 18" tips (MBRP, probably), and then it'll be done. My truck sounds mean and nasty already. With the intake and the tuner (and stock 3.5" exhaust with the 4" tip), it can get pretty freaky. I'm fine with the optional 20" wheels that are on there. I think a drop would look cool, but wheels and a drop just is not "me".

I'm pretty much done with everything for now though. More than the "things" above, I want to be debt free, so that's what I'm focusing on. Then I can buy anything I want...

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay dude, bulb guys, exhaust guys, what's next? Cleaning guys???? Must be nice dude, I am my own, bulb guy, my own exhaust guy, albeit not a very mechanically inclined one, but I get around.

:jok: :jok: :jok:

i have it detailed by my cleaning crew every once and awhile but i wash it twice a week so i keep her squeeky clean.

i am a mechnic for fun or as a hobby, but i work on old cars and restore old cars, my last car was an 84 mercedes. looks sweet. but expensive parts.

but i do my own service work on cars that are not new with warrentys, i have an ASE certification. so im very mechnical, just not good at everything else. i called those the popcorn classes in autoshop. :D

Last edited:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you set this up, you might awaken hibernating bears who may think your high beams and fog lights are the Summer Sun...Seriously though, I think you may melt down the asphalt if you set this up, I'd have to say that's overkill.

you can never have too many lights.

look at this thred (sorry for the hijack GW) its a 15 million watt spot light. hard mounted to the roof. plug in to the cig lighter until the guys get it hard wired, i dont mess with electricity, im surprised i did the halos and am going to install the HIDS. :eek2:

Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can never have too many lights.

look at this thred (sorry for the hijack GW) its a 15 million watt spot light. hard mounted to the roof. plug in to the cig lighter until the guys get it hard wired, i dont mess with electricity, im surprised i did the halos and am going to install the HIDS. :eek2:

Whoa, I thought I lived in the middle of nowhere, but if you can justify using that light, I have to fold, I want brightness and GW's setup is what suits me, I don't want to have E.T. follow me home. Well, you fine gentlemen have a great night, it's been great, thanks.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa, I thought I lived in the middle of nowhere, but if you can justify using that light, I have to fold, I want brightness and GW's setup is what suits me, I don't want to have E.T. follow me home. Well, you fine gentlemen have a great night, it's been great, thanks.

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

i think et would be proud dont you, have a good night.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas -- have a nice evening. I'm gonna go out to the garage and giggle at my lights on my way upstairs... :D

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I forget...

...I may have mentioned this earlier, but for the record, the stock Yukon fog light bulb type is PS24W. [Likely a feeble attempt by GM (and others) to try to limit aftermarket lighting mods by goofballs like us, I suppose.] ;)

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All,

7) The mother ship has landed!

....just reaching up and sitting it on the top of the vehicle.

YOu really sat up on the sunroof like that sitting on the edge with your legs hanging in the truck, you must only weight like 50 pounds, if i did that i garenteed you the roof would cave in. :smilielol:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I may have mentioned this earlier, but for the record, the stock Yukon fog light bulb type is PS24W. [Likely a feeble attempt by GM (and others) to try to limit aftermarket lighting mods by goofballs like us, I suppose.] ;)

all gmcs that are 07 and up use that bulb, i think your right, but i bet it will catch on. but those are a heck of alot brighter than my fogs.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YOu really sat up on the sunroof like that sitting on the edge with your legs hanging in the truck, you must only weight like 50 pounds, if i did that i garenteed you the roof would cave in. :smilielol:

Uhm, no. Like I said, mini tripod was placed on the roof in front of the moon roof... :crazy:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat w/ HIDs in fogs...

...First report on HID-generated heat in 4" OE fog housings:

1) 35W 9005 (5000K) HIDs have been installed for 5 days now.
2) Been driving with them on during the day to "burn them in" and test things out. I figure if the sun's out and all bright I won't really annoy anyone too much.
3) NO damage thus far or any signs of warping / bubbling in the lenses or clouding on the reflective portions of the fog housings.
4) STILL keeping an eye on them. After every use, I check the lens to make sure there's no bubbling and they're smooth and round like they're supposed to be.

Being somewhat paranoid because of my first attempt with the SilverStars and resultant melt-down, I'm not 100% ready to declare success just yet. I think the real test will be in warmer weather, when they do not self-cool as well... I'll keep everyone posted.

Until then, be :cool2:.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far, so good...

Yup -- just checked 'em again. NO problems. Seems to be just fine at this point. Like I said, warmer weather will really prove things out...

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
today was warm, 81 today 84 tommarrow. your only 4 hours north, should have about the same i would think??

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, not really. Only 69 here today. Will be 71 tomorrow, but I gotta drive the beater... :( The fogs are good as new tho -- I can't see any issues, I'm just really paranoid, ya know? Summer will prove it for sure (one way or the other).

LaredoTexas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should be ok... My wife hummer fog lights are simmilar I replace the the original with some of those.. painted yellow bulbs and started to melt the housing.. i then replace then with HID and they have performed well on 100 degrees + ...

tbrend

Reaction score
Hello,

New member here.

I just read through this entire post. It is something that I have been trying to research... great info. I just did the HID upgrade on the headlights.

Hey Getwired, is there any way to make a post including everything in the setup that you are using right now.

I got a little lost on which housing, lens you are using.

Lens? - glass or plastic (OEM)
Housing? - metal or plastic
Bulb?

If you are using aftermarket stuff, can you post where you got it?

My main question: can I use my OEM plastic lenses with HID lights without any heat/melting problems?

Thanks

Great mod.

Last edited:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My setup

Welcome, Mr. Incredible!

[Ah yes, there is alot of chit-chat in this thread that might serve to confuse... Not sure why you're confused (other than maybe you didn't wanna wade thru 3 pages of that crap)]. :lol: Anyway, to clear any remaining confusion:

I am using the following setup with NO heat issues thus far:

1) Lens: ABS plastic OE assembly.
2) Housing: ABS plastic OE assembly.
3) Bulbs: Xenon high-intensity discharge (HID) system @ 5000K with 9005 bulbs, modified to fit into the OE fog housings, with ballasts and dedicated wiring harness, purchased from mikemjohnson on here via www.higherlevelauto.com. Bulbs are carefully modified according to the very first post of this thread (external links).
4) Connectors: Modified OE harness connection with 9005 socket on passenger side (you could do both sides if you want), to accommodate the 9005 HID kit + harness, according to the second post of this thread.

If that doesn't eliminate any confusion, I dunno what will. ;)

Again, welcome, and you'll soon learn we're a "fun bunch" of somewhat chatty nerds!

Last edited:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should be ok... My wife hummer fog lights are simmilar I replace the the original with some of those.. painted yellow bulbs and started to melt the housing.. i then replace then with HID and they have performed well on 100 degrees + ...

I tend to agree with ya, I'm just more than a little paranoid due to my previous melt-down when I originally did the SilverStar halogens... As I found out, its not a cheap proposition to replace the OE fog housings.

I'm just cautiously optimistic about the upgrade! :D