2013 Tahoe: PPV or SSV?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AggiePhil

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first Tahoe soon but am somewhat undecided between a 2013 PPV (2WD) or a 2013 SSV (4WD). What are y'all's thoughts on the pros and cons of each? The 4WD would cost about $3000 more. Thanks.

Black Market

Reaction score
I went with the SSV mainly because I needed something to tow my boat with... however, I like the PPVs for their lower stance and handling capabilities.

AggiePhil

Reaction score
Yeah, I want to be able to tow small-medium trailers too. Though Chevrolet claims the PPV isn't meant for towing, there is nothing magical about it that would prevent it from doing so. My dealer said she thinks the 2013 PPVs can be ordered from Chevrolet with the receiver hitch and wiring. If not, I can just get one installed aftermarket. Whatever I get will have a locker too.

toytruckman

Reaction score
Ummmmmmm.......The 12's all came with receivers, they have changed that for 13' ???
We just bought a 12' 2-wd and it rated for 5k towing and 1k toung weight.

Dave

AggiePhil

Reaction score
Dave, are you talking about the PPV? That's what I'm referring to.

toytruckman

Reaction score
Well.......AggiePhil (just me) but if UR dept. is giving U the option to get 4wd or 2wd I would surely get the 4wd...:waytogo:

Our State boys are getting new 2wd's but it's a fleet purchase so they don't have any choice.

Dave

AggiePhil

Reaction score
At least around here, individual officers can purchase police Tahoes as personally owned vehicles. Supposedly Chevrolet started allowing this in 2010. The price is right so that's probably what I'll do. :D

AggiePhil

Reaction score
Looks like I'm going with the PPV (2WD). I like the wheels, lowered suspension, extra cooling systems, etc. It's going to have a locker so I don't think I'll have issues with it getting stuck. And I rarely pull a trailer so I don't think I'll need the extra payload capacity. Thanks for the advice everyone.

blairian

Reaction score
At least around here, individual officers can purchase police Tahoes as personally owned vehicles. Supposedly Chevrolet started allowing this in 2010. The price is right so that's probably what I'll do. :D

That's what I did - price was definitely right! :happy160:

AggiePhil

Reaction score
I wound up going with the PPV (2WD) and I love it. Only complaint I have is that the ride is a little rough (to be expected, given the vehicle's intended use). Perhaps the SSV would ride a bit smoother?

blairian

Reaction score
I wound up going with the PPV (2WD) and I love it. Only complaint I have is that the ride is a little rough (to be expected, given the vehicle's intended use). Perhaps the SSV would ride a bit smoother?

The ride is a little more rough - but it's the nature of the beast. I can't imagine that the 4x4 would be any different - similar suspension (at least that's my understanding).

I know that I love mine!! Like it even more with the price ;)

AggiePhil

Reaction score
Yeah. Maybe it will improve some when I go to tires with taller sidewalls.

blairian

Reaction score
Yeah. Maybe it will improve some when I go to tires with taller sidewalls.

That's what I was thinking too. I'm going to run these RSA's down to the bone and replace them with something that has a taller side-wall to help fill out the wheel well. That's about the only appearance thing on these that I don't like. Seems like the tire is almost too small for the rig.

Other than that though, no complaints!