2016 Tahoe LTZ: MyLink Issues before / after Android Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greenawayj

Reaction score
Hi. New to the forum and joining because I am completely fed up with the AV system issues since purchase up to and including the recent Android Auto 'upgrade'.

I'm not going to go on extensively, but we have had numerous center console freezes and lockouts since getting our Tahoe in October. Mostly these reset had themselves after several hours or overnight, but they were very frustrating for my wife as they also lock her out from being connected to bluetooth and handsfree calls while driving with our kids. Sometimes, the issues would also lock up the driver side advanced display as well. Dealership said it was a known issue waiting for a software update (November. None ever came)

Two weeks ago, we take it in for the NEW Android Auto software update that the Chevy press release said would take "30 minutes". 2.5 hours later... it's done! Worked OK (kind of**) for the first few days, but the last week has been full of more freezes and screen blackouts sometimes with whatever had been playing last (XM, USB music, or kids Movies on SD card) and sometimes with no ability to play anything. Steering wheel volume controls worked, but not the main dial. This morning, the tahoe wouldn't start at all for 10 minutes. Then miraculously it did. Finally around 10am, the screen landed on a Linux page saying STATUS: "Waiting on Update Media" (See attached) Seems like it's hosed. Back to the dealer again. NOTE that we have not even been using the Android Auto projection since the day it was installed. I figured it would be a bit too complicated for my wife and to be honest, **it was super slow to respond to Android Controls in the 2 hours I used it. Generally, Chevy's version isn't ready for prime time in my opinion - I also have Android Auto in my Accord and it's much smoother and easier to use.

For us, the differentiation last fall among a few other large SUV options and the Tahoe was an 'advanced' media center and Android Auto connection (even though we knew it wouldn't come until March). That said, this aspect of the vehicle has been way way more frustrating than it's worth and is even now seemingly affecting our ability to drive it at all or have any entertainment options when it does start!

Anyway, I just wanted to post my experiences here to see if any other 2016s have been experiencing anything similar? I'm thinking this must be broader issue and not just our vehicle... We are taking photos and videos as things progress to document the issues and I want to raise this to someone at GM if I can. Not sure how to go about that though.

Attachments

• Greenaway Tahoe16 MyLink Issues.jpg
    Greenaway Tahoe16 MyLink Issues.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

EJG5

Reaction score
I had absolutely no issues with my unit prior to the update. After the update the issue I had was that it basically nuked my Galaxy S6 Edge when I plugged it in and I had to do a hard reset on the phone. The My Link system seems to function fine though, just seemed to kill my phone when I plugged it in. I have since restored my phone, but don't dare to plug it back in. I guess i'll be content just using the Bluetooth features.

Sorry to hear about your trouble with your My Link. I actually like the way it operates (aside from killing my phone).

greenawayj

Reaction score
Update: Had the Tahoe in for service this week at a new dealership - not happy with the service group at the one where I bought it.

This one found my Audio Controller (?) Component was not passing the diagnostics tests so they replaced it. Took 2 days to get the part, but I just got the call that it's done. 1st dealership just blamed buggy software and never did any diagnostics. But the issues were much worse in the last week -- I had never seen that Linux screen prior to the last week. We previously only had freezes of the system. Maybe it was getting worse over time and this wasn't related to the Android Auto patch at all.

I'm picking it up tomorrow. So hopefully that was the issue. I'll update after a week or so if it's fixed.

91firehawk

Reaction score
I just got a 2017 Silverado and it is doing the exact same thing. They are in the process of replacing the HMI module now. Did the new HMI work for you?

BlessedHellRide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im getting a com 7 error on my phone when connecting too. No issues before until as of recent. Do not know if it is the phone and the auto update that happened recently.