4l60e question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jprince428

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first post so any help would be appreciated. I've been heavily considering purchasing a 96-99 tahoe. My question is how reliable is th 4l60e. Ive read many different places that it was made for smaller cars and doesnt hold up well with trucks. Also these comments seem to be centered around performance applications. Mine will just be a larger family vehicle that may possibly tow something more than 1000 lbs once in a blue moon. Any responses would be great.

pikeucf

Reaction score
The 4l60e transmission has performed just fine in the Tahoe's. Its been GM's main goto for over 25 years. Although GM made some changes in 2002 by adding another 3/4 clutch and added an additional planetary gear (5), everything else for the most part is the same.

Since 1980, the transmission has been used in over 75 million cars and trucks. In the early 90's, they made some modifications to it and added the "e" to the name, "electric".

If a vehicle has a torque rating of 360 ft·lbf or less, than the 4L60e is most likely the transmission used for the car-truck-van-suv. Same goes for the 4l65-e.

Another point I'd like to make that you might find comforting: Lets say something does go wrong with your 4L60-e. Rest assured, you'll never have a hard time finding parts for it nor will it be expensive to have it rebuilt. Can't say the same for most other tranny's, especially foreign.

I actually having my tranny rebuilt as we speak. Not because of anything, but rather because I'm installing a new engine and its only wise pull the tranny out sine the engine is out. Rebuild kits are not that expensive. Like any vehicle, the wear on the gears are more related to the driver than the engineering of the product.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good transmission, for what you are doing/ wanting to do, go for it.

NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER have the transmission "Flushed" by a shop, have the pan dropped and filter changed/ GM SPECIFIC fluid put back in to replace what came out with the pan drop, and do this on a reasonable basis (look in the manual for maintainance schedule.)