4x4 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i got bored today and desided, "lemme climb this curb", put it in neutral, went into 4-lo, worked great. well when i went to take it out of 4-lo, i had parked and had the truck in park and it wouldnt disengage from 4-lo. not to 4-hi, 2, or auto 4x4. anyway, i put it into neutral (praying this is all it would take) and it went fine.
so now to the question, is that normal? our dodge will go in and out of 4x4 in park, does this truck just force you to be in neutral? its no big deal, i just thought i broke it, and now its got me wondering. lol

bacon612

Reaction score
check your manual. The truck needs to me rolling under 5 miles an hour to shift in or out of 4-lo. It doesnt need to be in neutral

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neutral is actully the only way you should go in and out of 4lo on any vehicle IMO. your tahoe is smarter than the dodge and knows not to. My jeep needed to be in neutral to come out of 4 lo. Your 4x4 functioned just as normal.

but WTF with 4x4 on a curb, I climb curbs in 2 wheel drive. Both yukon and silverado.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but WTF with 4x4 on a curb, I climb curbs in 2 wheel drive. Both yukon and silverado.

i was BORED. lol. i did it and 2 and went, hey, lemme make sure my 4x4 works. lmao. besides, it helps me to learn my hoe RT! lol

so why the hell cant it go from 4-lo to ANYTHING in park? considering park is just neutral with a parking pin??

i think its dumb. i would think itd wanna be in park rather than in neutral. then it knows your at a complete stop when you disengage 4x4..

maybe my logic is just dumb. oh well. I'm in florida, so 4x4 is rarely used anyways. lol. i just wanted to make sure it wasnt broken. lol

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to 4wd and wondered about something, if you're stuck and need 4lo can it go into it without rolling?

Or does 4lo even help anything if you're stuck bad? more torque to the ground = more spin.

I don't have any proper tires yet, mine are crap "aurora radials" they suck even on the street. If your stuck bad with proper knobby offroad tires does spinning them in 4lo help? I'd think you might get some thrust just from the big knobby tires pumping a jet of mud.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first of all 4wd low lets you control your rpm better as its a lower gear meaning less tire spin compared to 4 hi. and yes it does help. :)

you should be rolling going into 4wd hi or low and coming out of either. its all in the manual on the "correct" way to do it. you should ALWAYS read the manual for any 4wd vehicle before using it. (by read i mean look at the little chart they all seem to have on "how it works")

all i gotta say is having an electric locker in the rear to get atleast 3 of the 4 spinning at the same time in 4wd is awesome. :)

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was always told to be at a stop when engaging or disengaging 4x4. damnit, i'll just read the manual 2moro. lol
to be honest, i come to this site forgetting i have a manual. lmao

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to be in Neutral on these trucks because it disengauges the drive shaft, meaning no damage to the drivetrain. You can put it in 4 lo standing still ( i do) but its better if your moving at 2 mph ( like slower than a grandma crossing the street LOL)

99yukon123

Reaction score
thats weird that you have to be moving cause my yukon won't go into 4 low unless im in neutral it was the same way with my s10 blazer and also our tundra at work will not go in low unless in neutral it just beeps.i geuss i could just start moving in drive then put in neutral while still moving.