5 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95ThAHOE

Reaction score
Ive never seen a 5 speed manual tahoe in my life, whats the deal? It says on the internet that it was an option but ive never seen one.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umm I think they may have got rid of the option in the later model years ('97+?) but you coul;d definitely get 5-speed manual in the earlier models.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my loooong search for a really nice tahoe in my price range i did find a 5 speed tahoe. i want to say it was a 95 or 96.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've lifted a few, did a 6" procomp/3" body on 37's 2dr a few months ago. He's coming back for some 4.88's this summer.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check, something like $1200-$1400 depending on what you want. I usually make them buy a trutrac or you'll grenade the housing, well worth the extra $500 or so.

yukondoit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a 5 speed in my 94 kon. My kon is a base model. I love driving it, manual tranny makes it that more fun to drive.:thumbsup:

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad and I were really thinking about putting a manual in to one of my Kons, i think it would be fun

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'd love to have a 5-speed in my tahoe. should have looked harder for one before i put all those beefed up parts in the auto trans.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, as weird as it may seem, a finely tuned automatic tranmission will always be better than a comparable manual transmission (relatively).

Once you get really into making a transmission for performance, you would modify an automatic with a manual valve body and some serious servos. Essentially with a manual valve body shift kit, you are shifting yourself just like in a manual (there is not "Drive" option in a full manual valve body) but what makes the automatic with a manual valve body better than the actual standard transmission is that the cluthing is entirely mechanical and controlled by hydraulic pressure. In a manual, you control the clutching, which leaves room for variables, inconsitancies, and lots of human error. With an automatic with a nice shift kit installed, the changing of the gears will ALWAYS be a hard, fast, and instant exchange of gears using lots of fluid pressure. It's a battle of means to an end, though, because you lose a lot more power though an automatic transmission versus a manual transmission.

all I know is, I can't wait till I finally have my hands on a nice 4L80E and get it all beefed up with the right hardware.