7.4 liter...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know i have made a ton of thred about this. But this being the last vehicle i buy for the next year atleast I wanna make sure its a good one. Selling the POC jeep for it. Hoeping to have a buyer. Went and looked at a 2001 suburban 2500 8.1 liter and its very nice, but Im wondering about an older model. I had a 99 2500 and loved it, but it was 2wd. This one is 4x4. Im looking for a work a haulic thats ready to pull up to 8k pounds. The extras in this one seem so awsome. Plus if I get my asking price for the jeep that would leave me with about 3k extra to do stuff to this one if it needs work. Just tell me what ya think. Its in Moyock NC so about a 45 min drive for me. But its alot closer than some of the other ones i have seen. Thanks a bunch guys, i know is a suburban, but their all in the same family, right?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/img_popup.jsp?car_id=248735097&photoIndex=0

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason your link doesn't work for me.

Hmm, works fine on 3 different computers for me. But all it is is pictures.

let me draw them out for you.

2500 6 inch lift suburban. with 35" tires. 7.4 liter v-8. black with grey leather, 17 inch flip down montior, and a really really, manly stance.

Jsho13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks bad a$$. I don't know much about the 7.4's but strictly from the looks of the truck, i like it.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks bad a$$. I don't know much about the 7.4's but strictly from the looks of the truck, i like it.

I like the looks too. Paint looks to be in good shape too.

Its down to the 2001 8.1 liter, this one, and a 2002 gmc sierra 6.0. Cant find a duramax below 20k to save my life. But I dont like that they red line right after 3k rpm either.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a re-boot the link is now working for me. Very nice, I really like how that looks. You should definitely pick it up.:thumbsup:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a re-boot the link is now working for me. Very nice, I really like how that looks. You should definitely pick it up.:thumbsup:

ya think?? Im excite . yet worried i might make the wrong decision. Its a tuff choice. But this one is site unseen while the rest are seen and driven and still in the ranks. Hmm, tuff decision. :lol:

I just wonder will i miss the power of the 8.1. But the 7.4 and nothing to sneze at. Plus with a tune it could be just as powerful.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 454 is a tough motor.. but, in that year model it still has many of the same problems as our 350s.. and the exhuast is restricted pretty bad through the heads - a new set of heads and a set of headers can really open that thing up but you may loose some low-end tourqe.. also - it suffers from the same type of fuel delivery system as our 350s but, alot of people have put the 454 boat intake on these motors as well..

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya think?? Im excite . yet worried i might make the wrong decision. Its a tuff choice. But this one is site unseen while the rest are seen and driven and still in the ranks. Hmm, tuff decision. :lol:

I just wonder will i miss the power of the 8.1. But the 7.4 and nothing to sneze at. Plus with a tune it could be just as powerful.

I would never buy a rig without at least getting a chance to drive it and see how it runs out. I think the 7.4 will have enough power for you, and with $3000 to play with you can coax a bit more out. But at least take it for a spin first.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would never buy a rig without at least getting a chance to drive it and see how it runs out. I think the 7.4 will have enough power for you, and with $3000 to play with you can coax a bit more out. But at least take it for a spin first.

Definatly. I shot the dealer an e-mail and hopes he is open this weekend and i may take a drive down there to testdrive. Give it a good run, then head back to the beach and think. Tonight I went and testdrove the sierra, and to be honest, I was worried i was gunna pee blood I got banged around so much, I cant even think what it would be like to take that offroad. Needless to say the suspension system on the 2500 pick ups is a little (actully alot) firm. :crazy:

IM hopeing that the mods to this burban dont make the ride to stiff. But thats the point of a testdrive too.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 454 is a tough motor.. but, in that year model it still has many of the same problems as our 350s.. and the exhuast is restricted pretty bad through the heads - a new set of heads and a set of headers can really open that thing up but you may loose some low-end tourqe.. also - it suffers from the same type of fuel delivery system as our 350s but, alot of people have put the 454 boat intake on these motors as well..

What kinda issues would i see with the fuel delivery system??

also he changed the exhaust out to a duel flowmaster system (not sure series) is that all that is needed or would you still reccommend headers. But I like my low end torque for towing. I would be worried about loosing too much, although its stock 410 ft lb. I think my 07 is like 335 ft lb. \

Thanks guys for all the help. My gmt 400 knowledge is a little short.:lol:

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kinda issues would i see with the fuel delivery system??

also he changed the exhaust out to a duel flowmaster system (not sure series) is that all that is needed or would you still reccommend headers. But I like my low end torque for towing. I would be worried about loosing too much, although its stock 410 ft lb. I think my 07 is like 335 ft lb. \

Thanks guys for all the help. My gmt 400 knowledge is a little short.:lol:

I thought you "knew a lot about engines"? He said heads...

Also, why would you not buy a duramax just because it redlines "just after 3k rpms"?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought you "knew a lot about engines"? He said heads...

Also, why would you not buy a duramax just because it redlines "just after 3k rpms"?

I do, newer ones. But I wanna know how fast it goes. That i dont kow. LOL.

Im just really not a big diesel fan. They dont have that engine screaming at the top of their lungs sound, they just kinda grumble. :rolleyes2:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went down and saw. it Was in great shape. Is the perfect truck except 140k miles. Thats alot. But my cadillac fleetwood has twice that many and still runs like a top. Great lift kit, engine feels powerful. IM just worried about that milage. Im still thinking about it. But im just wondering what kinda mess could i get my self in to with that many miles on it. Yalls thoughts.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looking at the pictures I would have to assume this is more than just a 6 in. lift. It looks like there is a body lift on it based on how much of the frame rail it is showing. IDK just thought i would point it out.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guess my post never posted on here. yeah, its got the 3" body lift on it. look at the hitch, stepbars, and the tow hooks.

atleast they raised the rear bumper...

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looking at the pictures I would have to assume this is more than just a 6 in. lift. It looks like there is a body lift on it based on how much of the frame rail it is showing. IDK just thought i would point it out.

If i do go for it, i might remove that if i can keep those tires, as im sure new ones are very PRICY!!:brsh1:

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude. IT looks totally badass.

I say go for it. I mean, mileage will suck, BUT IT LOOKS GREAT!

drop the 3 grand into powder coating the frame and stuff :)

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has it been regeared?

ahh, new there was somthing i forgot to ask. Im calling them monday to talk to them about tradeing the jeep. NO calls what so ever trying to sell it, so i guess i just need to bite the bullit and cut my losses. so i will aske them.

also 2500 with 7.4 i presume is a 4L80E right?