99 Tahoe 4x4 4 Door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timberwolf17044

Reaction score
Last fall I picked up a 99 hoe with 180k on it. Shortly after putting it on the road I noticed what I assumed was brake noise, put you in mind of the front pads worn so I replaced the pads. Can't say for sure now if they were completely shot or not but anyhow after replacing them I was still hearing a grinding noise whenever I applied the brakes. I just assumed it was the brakes. I recently got the vehicle inspected and while it was up on the lift I took a close look at the front diff, cv joints and wheel bearings. Everything appeared to be fine with the exception of the front diff on the driver side there was play. So I assumed a bad bearing in the diff. I picked up a used diff at a junkyard and installed. Now the grinding noise is even worse and horrendous whine when I engage the four wheel drive. I'm starting to think I've got a bad wheel bearing but what puzzles me is there is no play in left or right tire when I have them up. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

I believe you are right about the hub bearings. They do not always have play when they are going bad, I have seen it many times, you feel and sometimes hear the grinding but the wheels have no up and down play. It just means that you have a sensitive ear/foot and you notice things before they get TOO bad. I would bet it is the bearings.

Timberwolf17044

Reaction score
Actually I feel pretty much like a dummy at this point. I took the truck to a friend who has a repair shop today to get his educated opinion on it. Took it out for a test drive, what does he do first... put down the window and listen outside the vehicle. Don't ask me why that never occurred to me. With your head outside the window it was very easy to tell the grinding noise was coming from the left rear wheel. Not even close to the front end and it turns out the left rear brake shoes were completely shot. Needless to say today I installed new rear shoes and drums on both sides. The other noise we now determined to be coming from the transfer case when it is in 4 low or high. I'll bring more info when I have it. An interesting side note and valuable lesson I learned on this instance to share.. Here in Pennsylvania it is required for the vehicle to have an annual safety inspection. Laws require the inspection mechanic to pull left front and right rear tires or vice versa to inspect the brakes. In this case the mechanic couldn't read what had been pulled from the last inspection so he pulled left front and right rear and saw no problems at all with the brakes. Had he done the opposite he would have caught it. If you live in a state that has similiar laws I would suggest you insist the mechanic pull both wheels for inspection.

clkelley

Reaction score
That is great to know! It is also good to hear you have a mechanic with as much common sense as mechanical know how...lol