99 Tahoe 4x4 help, won't come out of 4hi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmooney

Reaction score
Hey all, long read but please help me.

So recently bought a 99 Tahoe that needed trans work. Had no 2nd or 4th gear pulled trans and buddy rebuilt it ended up being bad band. 4x4 worked fine before pulling trans and getting it rebuilt.

Put trans back in went and test drove it trans shifts great, about 1 mile down the road service 4x4 light comes on and it kicks into 4hi.
I tried putting it back into 2hi and it sounds like T-case motor is moving and 2hi light flashes but it won't go. Tired 4 lo won't go, it will go into auto 4x4, then when you select 2hi it flashes again then goes into 4lo.

Got under it again and found we had 1 of the 3 speed sensors going to T-case not hooked up and 1 in the wrong spot. Corrected that issue but still wouldn't go into 2hi.

Pulled T case motor off it seemed like it was bound up a bit wouldn't come off without selecting 2hi and letting it move which I'm pretty sure isn't correct.

Buddy has a scanner came over and checked for DTC's nothing. When we command 2hi scanner shows 2hi is being commanded but encoder is still saying 4hi, no matter what we select scanner reads encoder in 4hi.

Bought a re-man motor from AutoZone I can't even get motor back on I am able to shift T-case manually in 3 different positions but none of them line up with old or new motor. I ended up taken that motor back.
With motor off and plugged in and touching frame selecting 2 hi motor rotates back and forth 2 times then reverts back to same position it was in to start with.

Went to JY and picked up selector switch, front end actuator , and another encoder motor ( this one will also not line up with any detent spot on t-case ). None of which have solved the problem. I am at a complete loss as it worked fine before pulling transmission, only thing I can think is something is messed up in T-case after driving it with speed sensor hooked up incorrectly.

It's odd how 3 motors won't line up with T-case, T case is 246 how many positions should I be able to manually shift? I only feel 3?

Any help or suggestions would be great, I've search but I seems to have different symptoms then the normal encoder motor being the issue.

PattyD

Reaction score
I have very similar issue. Stays in 4hi or Auto. Won't go into 2H nor 4Lo. Lights blink and hear click over, but defaults back to 4Hi.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am by far no expert on the 4x4, but there is a control module under the dash (on the steering column?) that controls the actuators, a switch on the dash, an actuator on the front axle, and the actuator on the transfer case, I would inspect all of these things......