accumulator 99 yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skychair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when do you replace the accumulator???
I have 133,000 miles now.
Checking my old receipts I found that I replaced in 2009 the compressor, manifold assembly, drier (assuming accumulator),orifice tube, condenser.
At a tidy sum I might add.
I was going to replace the accumulator and orifice tube before having the system purged and recharged.
But now Im looking at the recharge kit from Interdynamics.
Has oil, dye, sealer. Im thinking of recharging to get dye in the system and then check it with a uv light.

Am I on the right track here.
Ron

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually replace the dryer (accumulator) if the system has been open for a while or if changing out a compressor. If it has just leaked down, I suck it down for over an hour.....

skychair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas line tool

Another question....
Do I need the gas line tool to disconnect gas lines, or just a wrench?
If I need the tool.... which is best, plastic or the scissor metal kind.
Any ideas appreciated, gathering parts, info, and tools for the gasket/spider replacement. 1999 yukon 5.7
Ron

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question....
Do I need the gas line tool to disconnect gas lines, or just a wrench?
If I need the tool.... which is best, plastic or the scissor metal kind.
Any ideas appreciated, gathering parts, info, and tools for the gasket/spider replacement. 1999 yukon 5.7
Ron

I did it with just a wrench, at least to replace the fuel filter, it may depend on where you are disconnecting it as I have never done it elseware

skychair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it with just a wrench, at least to replace the fuel filter, it may depend on where you are disconnecting it as I have never done it elseware

I'll be disconnecting at the firewall to remove the intake manifold.
If I have to have the disconnect tools ...I dont know what size or type get.
Ron

skychair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
throttle body question

Thanks for the response...I purchased the metal scissors type for early GM.
Perhaps they wont be needed.
Have another question.....
The throttle body blade modification.............
What improvement should be expected?
Any one done this mod.???

I have some warm (mid 60's) sunshiny days coming next week thats when I hope to pull the intake off Install new FelPro gaskets, and replace the Spider.

A shop wanted $850 labor, but I found a mechanic who would do it on the week end for $350 ...which I thought reasonable for an experienced mechanic ( I was to be his second pair of hands), but that seems to have fallen through.
Decided I wasn't to old to do it myself.:sad72:

Ron

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its pretty easy, the hard part is lifting the dang intake manifold, its kinda heavy....

skychair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'O' rings gas line

Any know where to purchase the gas line 'O' ring seals at the fire wall, or ...if I dont have the quick disconnect , I should'ent need 'O' ring set ......right?
If I need'em a vendor please... I cant find one.

Just trying to line up the ducks......
Ron

Second thought I just checked my FelPro gasket set and it has 2 'O' ring of different size .....are these for the gas line?

Sorry for all the questions......

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two small pencil sized orings are for the fuel lines going into the injector assembly, the fuel lines at the back of the intake manifold don't have orings IIRC....

skychair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intake gasket replacement Feb 17

Thanks that what I thought, appreciate it ...have another question see the picture, I cant pull this of from either end.
Need help

Attachments

• DSC00026x.jpg
    DSC00026x.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 6

skychair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
upper intake wont come off

All the bolts are out...checked twice.
upper plastic manifold has released in the front, but not the rear.
Again Idont want to break this part.
need a quick answer if there is one, see the picture.
always appreciated, Ron

Attachments

• DSC00046.jpg
    DSC00046.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 2

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Double check for more screws, especially in the middle of the rear, does the manifold come up but is held down by something? the injector pod will stick in its hole and it is secured down inside (you need to push down on the injector pod assembly while pulling up on the manifold.

skychair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Double check for more screws, especially in the middle of the rear, does the manifold come up but is held down by something? the injector pod will stick in its hole and it is secured down inside (you need to push down on the injector pod assembly while pulling up on the manifold.

I did feel for more fasteners, but found none.
Upper manifold does rise more than an inch in front enough for the manifold to clear the ejector body thingy.

It does feel like its bolted .......

Start again tomorrow, lots of little time consumers have slowed progress.

skychair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
last bolt

Double checked this morning ...there is a bolt in the rear, but it is recessed not extended out like the rest. little mirror on an extension is a good thing.
Upper half is off.
:happy160::happy160:

skychair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Distributor alignment question

Ok major question
First I'm not at TDC.
I have included 3 pictures of the distributor marked as I removed it.
My question is ...based on the provided pictures.
If I align the dimple on the bottom of the distributor shaft, with the GM white marks on the lower part of the shaft, this should put the rotor (rotated clockwise) pass my paint mark, this hopefully means if everything connects correctly at the bottom of the distributor, the rotor will rotate counter clock wise and upon seating be lined up with my paint mark .....right where it is supposed to be.:cool:
If I an going off track please let me know.
Again thanks.

The white mark referenced in the 3rd picture is the GM white mark on the lower shaft.

Attachments

• DSC00085.jpg
    DSC00085.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC00087.jpg
    DSC00087.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC00088.jpg
    DSC00088.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 3

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks about right... Why did you not rotate to TDC? If this does not go well you will have to find it. Not hard.....