Anyone else using E85?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08LTZ

Reaction score
I get it for $2.47 vs $3.39 (shell V power) $60 fill up vs $73.50. 2 tanks in (wife does most of the driving) I notice more power response and lower mpg. tends to switch to and stay in v4 mode more often. Exhaust has a 'sweet' smell, so it it obvious when you are using E85. Vehicle has just under 6K miles on it and has Mobil1 5w 30 full synth oil/ extended life filter. At current price difference I think the E85 is a good deal. if the difference were .60 or less It would not be worth it IMHO.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I probably use a tank every 3-4 fill ups. Theres a station close to where I work in Atlanta, and if it is more than $.50 cheaper I'll use it. Gas mileage sucks, but it does come out cheaper when gas is $3.41 like it has been. I ran a tank yesterday on the way to Florida.

08LTZ

Reaction score
not sure...but with the Texas heat and the fact we are planning to keep the truck till the kids leave the house...9-10 years god willing....or the wheels fall off it makes sense....

Corrosive properties of E85

Alcohol fuels can be more corrosive on some rubbers , plastic and some metal parts and this is why back in the 1970's when Alcohol fuels were first introduced in the United States that people would complain abut engine problems , corroded fuel lines etc. this is no longer an issue in most newer vehicles as most newer vehicles are already designed to resist the corrosive nature of Alcohol fuels when Some states started requiring 10- 20 % Ethanol in all gasoline fuels sold . After considerable research I came to the conclusion this simply wasn't a major concern as I entered into this project . But for added protection I chose to use a high quality synthetic oil . (from : http://e85vehicles.com/converting-e85.htm )

Last edited:

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
I would love to use it, but it isn't that close to me yet, the closest is Brent wood. I would rather make our farmers rich than the stupid rag heads in Saudi arabia.
Please let us know how it works out as I am very interested in using this when I can find some as gas is getting absolutely ridiculous in California.

RyanbabZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on using it. The closest place hasnt had it available recently (bag over handle) but there is a place by work. Its 30 cents cheaper than reg here

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The food is all going to the ethanol plants. Therefore the price of corn is going up which drives up all foods with corn in them and foods that eat corn like beef, pork, chicken, and the other white meat, alligator. jk about the last one.

StL07Tahoe

Reaction score
I would use it, but it is only about $.35 cheaper here in Missouri. It needs to be 25% cheaper than regular for me to switch.

$2.50 vs. $2.87

zr2sms

Reaction score
I use it about every 2nd or 3rd fill ups. I have to drive about 10 miles just to get where it is. Only about $.40 - $.50 less than regular unleaded here, so its not really worth it. I do like the fact that it is supposed to be better for the environment. but getting about 2 MPG less. If it were right around the corner I would use it all the time. Like the sweet smell. Reminds me of my old 2 cyl race ski with Maxima Gold oil and 110 octane..:)

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regular is what you are supposed to use. Using anything higher without a programmer doesn't get you much.

diehrd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate how the complaint now is Ethanol is driving up food price, well grow more food!

Well maybe you are not old enough to be buying food ? When steak is 8.99 a pound like it is here in my area it can prevent a famialy from enjoying one.

Add to that ethanol is 20% less efficient then gas , add to that it takes 1/2 a gallon more oil to make a gallon of ethanol the it does to make gas.

So the new religion , Global warming , seams people with no ability to think it through jumped with out looking , now we will all suffer and pretend 2.47 fuel is a deal when milk hits $6.00 a gallon and all basic food stuff goes up 100% as it might very well do.

Ya can not use your food supply to power your transportation system, thats a fact , all fuels we produce manually require great amounts of heat and pressure to form , no different then how natural oil was made , the difference being we are speeding up the time tables by forcing it to become oil instantly.

The Planet by the way has in the last 12 months cooled off to temps lower then it was prior to industrialization , so the argument of global warming is dead if people would only take the time to READ and learn.

Yes we need different power sources , but to use our food supply is dangerious and stupid by its very nature and if the majority of those who are for ethanol do not wake up this nation will hit a wall that will cripple it completely. Wait , one day soon there will be a flood or some other weather event that decimates our crops , then we can scratch our A## while we stand in line for bread and fuel.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well maybe you are not old enough to be buying food ? When steak is 8.99 a pound like it is here in my area it can prevent a famialy from enjoying one.

Add to that ethanol is 20% less efficient then gas , add to that it takes 1/2 a gallon more oil to make a gallon of ethanol the it does to make gas.

So the new religion , Global warming , seams people with no ability to think it through jumped with out looking , now we will all suffer and pretend 2.47 fuel is a deal when milk hits $6.00 a gallon and all basic food stuff goes up 100% as it might very well do.

Ya can not use your food supply to power your transportation system, thats a fact , all fuels we produce manually require great amounts of heat and pressure to form , no different then how natural oil was made , the difference being we are speeding up the time tables by forcing it to become oil instantly.

The Planet by the way has in the last 12 months cooled off to temps lower then it was prior to industrialization , so the argument of global warming is dead if people would only take the time to READ and learn.

Yes we need different power sources , but to use our food supply is dangerious and stupid by its very nature and if the majority of those who are for ethanol do not wake up this nation will hit a wall that will cripple it completely. Wait , one day soon there will be a flood or some other weather event that decimates our crops , then we can scratch our A## while we stand in line for bread and fuel.

Lets not forget that we are learning how to make E85 from other sources as well.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This would be a non-issue if we would just import the ethanol from Brazil. They have loads of it. But there are trade restrictions to "protect our farmers"

diehrd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets not forget that we are learning how to make E85 from other sources as well.

Lets not forget the answer is not using food or crops to make fuel ,,YA NEED A FOSSIL fuel to provide the heat that makes any crop fuel for god sakes.

Fact the earth has cooled off in the last 12 months to levels prior to industrialization , what are we doing using food for fuel ? Or even crops ?

Mine coal and oil shale , convert to oil ( Synthetic oil is made from coal if you did not know that )

These 2 resources can provide 330 years of fuel for America ,, Independent of any out side source , While using it make a switch to alternate energy , lets be smart not blinded by propaganda and this new age religion of global warming

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets not forget the answer is not using food or crops to make fuel ,,YA NEED A FOSSIL fuel to provide the heat that makes any crop fuel for god sakes.

Fact the earth has cooled off in the last 12 months to levels prior to industrialization , what are we doing using food for fuel ? Or even crops ?

Mine coal and oil shale , convert to oil ( Synthetic oil is made from coal if you did not know that )

These 2 resources can provide 330 years of fuel for America ,, Independent of any out side source , While using it make a switch to alternate energy , lets be smart not blinded by propaganda and this new age religion of global warming

i really don't care as long as we can tell the Saudis to F**k off that is what I care about.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well said. Just heard tonite that since farmers are switching to corn since it's worth more, less land is available for wheat, so the price of wheat is going up. :eek2: