Available Engine Sizes for the Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davco

Reaction score
I'm getting a 2003 Tahoe LT (called it an LS in a different thread...my mistake). I was looking on MSN Autos and they say the motor is a 4.8 rated at 275 hp. According to the sticker on the engine, my Tahoe is a 5.3 but MSN makes it look like the 4.8 is the only size available. I'm sure MSN must be wrong so the question is this:

Is there a reliable source that will tell me all the available engine options and their rated HP/TQ numbers?

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a 2003 Tahoe LT (called it an LS in a different thread...my mistake). I was looking on MSN Autos and they say the motor is a 4.8 rated at 275 hp. According to the sticker on the engine, my Tahoe is a 5.3 but MSN makes it look like the 4.8 is the only size available. I'm sure MSN must be wrong so the question is this:

Is there a reliable source that will tell me all the available engine options and their rated HP/TQ numbers?

If it's an LT it has the Vortec 5300 (5.3L with 295 HP).

http://www.gmcertified.com/certified/pdf/2004/04Chevrolet_Tahoe.pdf

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the engine choices are the same dude.

Except for the HP rating. :thumbsup:

GM has a habit of doing that. in 1993, when they used the LT1 in the Camaro, it was 265hp... in 1995, it was 275hp... in 1997, it was 285hp. Same with the 'vette...

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not 325 :D Gotta roll professional grade for the big motor :cheers:

LOL... If I could have afforded a Denali or Escalade, I would have.. unfortunately, I had to deal with a dealership and couldn't get the '02 Lade I was looking at.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL... If I could have afforded a Denali or Escalade, I would have.. unfortunately, I had to deal with a dealership and couldn't get the '02 Lade I was looking at.
You aren't missing much, I just love the NVG-149 tcase they put in this thing which is another reason I get 16mpg :smilielol: