AWD vs 4WD Fuel Economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05tahoelt

Reaction score
I recently purchased an 05 tahoe LT with AWD and traction control. Believe it or not, i didnt even notice until a few days after I owned it, I assumed they all had a 4hi/ 2 hi option... I am wondering If im going to have a noticeable difference in MPG from my old 2002 Z71 Tahoe. I used to leave that one in 2hi most of the time.

Is the AWD worse than the standard 4hi/lo transfer case option?

Also, what kind of mileage should I expect?

chadwick02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure your 05 has AWD? I think you are misunderstanding what it has - it has auto 4-wheel drive. Auto 4-wheel drive simply leaves the truck in 2WD unless it senses traction loss then it puts 4WD on. It is not an AWD system. You can also opt to leave the system in strict 2WD where it is not in "auto" mode and will not switch to 4WD until you push the 4WD button.

You might also have traction control on your vehicle, but this is also not AWD and shouldn't have any effect on fuel economy. That's just a system that tries to help out the individual slipping tires.

To answer your question, typically, apples to apples, AWD will consume more power then strictly 2WD, on most vehicles. But your 05 LT does not have AWD.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actully some tahoes were set up to have AWD and 4lo. No 4 HI 2 hi or auto 4x4. just awd and 4lo. I say your going to see less fuel economy, but much better traction in rain or snow.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have 4wd. READ YOUR MANUAL!! If you use the controls incorrectly you will destroy your 4wd system. It is not a full time 4wd like a Landcruiser. You cannot leave it in 4wd hi or lo on dry pavement without eventually getting damage.
You can leave it in auto4wd, it gets about 1mpg less than 2wd mode.

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what ive been told,(could be wrong) auto 4wd has the shaft spinning the entire time so it engages quickly and smoothly when it senses slipping..so it will use a little more gas..my last trip to school about 180 miles was snowing like crazy so i used auto..i only got about 14 mpg all highway..the same trip back i got 18 in 2hi..

05tahoelt

Reaction score
It definately has AWD and 4 lo. The button has the image of 4 wheels with squiggly lines. It also has traction control

I know with my old 'hoe id get bad mileage with AWD engaged, but I didnt know if this one was set up different since you cant select 2wd

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my old 4x4 06 yukon. Does the switch look like this??? Or is it just a 4 Lo button.

THIS IS A TRUE 4x4 TAHOE!!! NOT AN AWD ONE!!!!!

yeehaw1.jpg

THIS IS AN 05 TAHOE FORSALE ON EBAY THIS IS THE AWD SWITCH. Im sure his tahoe has AWD, because what he is describing sounds like this.

04da_4.JPG

linky http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev...temQQimsxZ20081209?IMSfp=TL0812092010006r2942

Mr Orange

Reaction score
silly guy, thats not AWD lol

Auto 4x4 is on the fly with out locking hubs.

You can engage it when going less than 15 mph thats what auto 4x4 is.

squigly lines is the symbol for traction control...

read the manual ! before you buy it ;)

AWD, you dont have to press any button.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
silly guy, thats not AWD lol

Auto 4x4 is on the fly with out locking hubs.

You can engage it when going less than 15 mph thats what auto 4x4 is.

squigly lines is the symbol for traction control...

read the manual ! before you buy it ;)

AWD, you dont have to press any button.

Did you not see my post above????