Barn Door Lubrication

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotdog1

Reaction score
I'm new to the form and have a question about how to lubricate the swing out barn doors on my 97 Tahoe. The right (passenger side) takes all my effort to open. Looks like there is a popoff button on top of the hinges but it has been painted over so I'm not sure. Is that where it should be oiled? Any suggestions? Thanks

JsnChristianson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A word to the wise, be careful when lubricating the barn doors!

I had the same issue with my vehicle a few years ago and oiled the hinge on the passenger side barn door when the resistance to open the door strangely increased. I wished for years after that I had not.

After I oiled the hinge the door flew open and closed with the slightest ease. If I had the door open and was on a hardly noticable incline or the smallest breeze blew by the door would either slam shut or blow wide open. As a result, the door one day swung all the way open (180 degrees) from the halfway open (90 degrees) position and broke the black plastic check strap on its way. I was pretty upset but had to live with my mistake. Also, when loading and unloading items from the cargo doors, that stubborn passenger side barn door would always swing back and hit me right in the back. Ugh, it was such an annoyance!

Then finally, a few years later, the lubricant wore off and the door retained its previous resistance to motion. Finally, the door stays in the position that I want it! So I replaced the broken check strap and have been happy with cargo doors that remain in place when I need to gain access to the cargo region of the vehicle.

Maybe my experience was just an isolated incident, but I just thought I would let you know. Take care!

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THAT new check strap does it sqeeze tighter on the door pin to keep the doors open?

i have that same problem with mine closing hitting me in the head when loading
things in the back. i know where to buy them.

JsnChristianson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the plastic check strap does not affect the door's resistance to motion, only whether or not the door is able to open fully or partially. I will unhook the check strap today as a test for any change in resistance to motion to confirm this later today though.

hotdog1

Reaction score
Thanks for back but still would like to know the best way to lubricate the doors.

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put some WD-40 on mine and called it a day. If you're worried about the mess, use a dry graphite lube.

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also my driver side barn door is harder to open now and then it open real easy

some times (LIKE IT HAS A MIND OF IT'S OWN) .

now that check strap it's metal right? mine is metal

JsnChristianson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked to see whether or not the check strap influenced the resistance to motion of the door and it does not. The door opens with equal resistance with the check strap engaged or disengaged. The check strap on my vehicle is made out of black plastic.

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what a design flaw !!!! when i get my new ones i will make sure there not plastic if they are i will keep the ones i got.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i periodically wd-40 the hinges on mine. it helps , but those hinges stink!!!!!