Belt Squeal in Cold Weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobbysDad

Reaction score
This only happens in cold weather and has been going on the past couple years when starting it up the belt starts to make this squealing noise and goes away when the engine gets all warmed up in my 2005 Tahoe LT.

During the summer it does not have any squeal noise at all and just noticed when I pull out of garage taking a sharp left turn or out of a parking spot I can hear this little clunk.

Here is some background of what I did do to I do maintain it I feel very well.

When it happened of course with mileage a new serpentine belt and even tried the old one and same results. Put a new AC Delco Tension arm on it and all is tight. Changed the roller for the AC and old one was bad for sure and new belt there too. Both do spin very well.

I did do a fluid check before all this started to happen in the cold weather and power steering was a little low, but signs of no leaks on garage floor and put some in and a recheck showed it low again, but never out.

I don’t know if I should have done it but put some of that stop leak in it and that cured the leak.

Not sure why only cold weather makes this belt squeal and problem free when it is warm out and will be fine all summer long until cold weather comes back like usual.

My thoughts are power steering pump, but the steering all seems fine like it always did. Hate to change it this summer only to find out when it gets cold out again it was not the problem.