Best Engine Cleaner?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZIsbell

Reaction score
I know we have alot of electrical, but other than the obvious places to cover, what else whould we watch out for. And of course....Which cleaner to use??

Zack

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine Cleaner... Man I hate caleche roads!

Dust is my enemy when it comes to keeping the engine clean. :cuss:

If you wanna do it right, don't go for the quick-clean sprays. I'm sure people have done it tons of other ways, but the quick clean always ended up slinging cleaner all over the engine compartment, and under the hood. You usually have to idle the engine while using this stuff, and the fan sends it everywhere.

Just get yourself a pile of rags, some "Castrol Purple Cleaner" or a similar de-greaser, and some water. I used to have a water hose set to just barely trickle, to rinse while I worked. Clean small sections at a time to prevent the cleaner from drying out. I have used small plastic brushes, sponges, tooth brushes, even canned compressed air.... you name it. You have to get creative in some areas. Just don't spray any water on the electrical connections, and you won't have to worry about it. When in doubt, just use a damp rag and wipe it off. Follow it up with a dry one, and there you go.

Once you get all the dirt, dust & grime off... use a protectant on the plastics and rubber. Something like Armor-All, or a good Vinyl and Rubber cleaner on all the plastic and Rubber hoses.

I've even gone so far as to use a "quick-detail wax" spray on the painted surfaces to help reduce water & junk from sticking in between cleaning.

Once you have spent an hour or two cleaning your engine, you'll be more inclined to keep it that way... and it will take less time each cleaning to get it purdy.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Tahoe engine.jpg
    Tahoe engine.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 14

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bahollis, your engine compartments look great!

I will heed your advice next time I clean out mine as well. My daily driver is need of a good bath, inside and out. When the warmer weather comes, I'll give your process a shot. I was looking for some insight on this, so thanks!

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, it's good therapy too. You search & destroy grime, and end up with a clean engine! Some people do crossword puzzles...

Get some Goop, or a good pair of gloves for the hands!!!

Good luck.

BH

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZISBELL , how do you like the magnaflow exhaust ? i was thinking about puting a cat back system on my 99 tahoe. I want a nice growl sound on idle but not too much. i would like a nice acceleration sound too. I like the gibson too but i think those are a little les noisy than the magnaflow of flowmaster systems. tell me what you think of yours. thanks

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Castrol super clean and simple green do the trick for me
IMG00192.jpg

GTO2050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always been a fan of GUNK. Used it since I was a kid. Not exactly environmentally friendly (I don't really know) but I love how it makes the engine smell afterward. Has a unique and clean odor when done.