Best programmer for the $

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright time has come to finally pick up a programmer to fix the Speedo and get the ABS light to turn off on the Tahoe.

I know there are several ones out there but which is the best bang for the buck?

bowtiefreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Hypertech....don't use it anymore, I had mine custom tuned by PCM4LESS. Much happier witha custom tune.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the money, A black bear is worth it. They should be able to fix the abs and spedo also. Plus the power i have heard is alot better, My buddy got one done from them, he says its feels like a whole new truck.

bowtiefreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
custom is the way to go. In all honesty teh only thing that I could feel in the programmer was the firmer shift

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I'm supposed to be getting a "good deal" on one from 4 wheel parts for some reasons I'll keep to myself.

i plan on the black bear tune at some point but if i had to buy a tuner what would you guys recommend?

OR if anyone has one laying around that they would sell or i could "rent" off of them just to fix the gears and tire size in the computer that would be awesome. anyone? :)

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Unfortunately you can't "rent" a programmer, as it locks to the specified VIN of the vehicle initially used on.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres not a way to unlock them? well that sucks.if i had something else reliable to drive while i shipped out the computer i'd just have it BB tuned.

so back to which programmer is the best bang for the buck?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres not a way to unlock them? well that sucks.if i had something else reliable to drive while i shipped out the computer i'd just have it BB tuned.

so back to which programmer is the best bang for the buck?

you dont ship your PCM to them, They send you a cord and you hook it up to your PCM and then send them the info back.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah... i read about it a little more, i'd have to go buy a laptop to do it with the cord.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Or borrow a friends, that is what some folks do.

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Hypertech Programmer III that I reset recently for my '96 Tahoe.

The programmer was about $350 but I took the Tahoe in last week to put on the dyno and had the computer mapped. Cost $500.

I don't know if the programmer can be used on another vehicle after it is reset but it's for sale.