Best time to switch from organic to synthetic oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackDenali

Reaction score
I got my Denali since April of 2007, and I am still using the organic oil in the engine, Is it a good time now to switch to a synthetic oil? .. the mileage is 17000 miles right now.

I know that its not recommended to start your engine life with a synthetic oil, but again, I feel that its been driven too much now with the organic oil and maybe its too late to go synthetic, am I right?

Bardo

Reaction score
Start right now. According to Mobil1 you can switch at any time with out any problems. Or run synthetic in your new vehicle. Most newer vehicles such as my BMW 335i come with synthetic from the factory.

From Mobil1 website.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Switching_From_Conventional_Motor_Oil_to_Mobil_1.aspx

Question:
Switching From Conventional Motor Oil to Mobil 1
There seems to be confusion about how to make the switch from conventional motor to synthetic. I am a do-it-yourselfer. Could you provide instructions?
-- Joe D., Miami, FL
Answer:
The instructions are very easy to follow: Simply change the oil as you would normally. Any “confusion†is just myth. You can switch from conventional motor oil to Mobil 1 synthetic (and back again, if you want), without following any special procedures. The only exception to this is with a higher-mileage engine that has never used synthetic motor oil, or with an engine that has used conventional motor oil and been poorly maintained. In these cases, you should still follow the same basic oil-change procedures (drain the old oil, remove the old oil filter, put in new Mobil 1 and put on a new oil filter), but you should follow a regimen of one or two shortened oil-change intervals. For instance, let’s say that your regular oil change interval is 5,000 miles. If you’re switching to Mobil 1 under the circumstances mentioned above, make your next Mobil 1 oil change in 2,500 miles, your third Mobil 1 oil change 3,500 miles after that, and then follow your normal 5,000 mile oil-change interval. The reasoning behind this staggered interval is that a high-mileage engine, or one that has seen infrequent oil changes, will likely have a considerable build-up of sludge and deposits. Mobil 1 will help clean the engine as you drive, but it will have to work much harder in a very “dirty†engine, and so it is best to change the oil more frequently for those first few thousand miles. After that, you can rest assured that Mobil 1 is continuing to keep your engine running clean and well lubricated for mile after mile.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man, I switched at like 114K i think. not a single leak. if you switch now, your engine should last a long, long time.

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched last week to Mobil1 and promptly went on a road trip to Bryce Canyon and Zion NP. I cannot really say if the mileage was better or not because it was mostly highway driving and I had the cruise on, so naturally it went up. I will say however, it felt like the engine was much more peppy, at least the butt dyno told me so! :cool2:

I also have to say, GM makes the oil change easy with the location of the oil filter! :clapping:

demonal

Reaction score
yeah the synthetic switch up was very noticeable, and very easy to do yourself...

08 Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and change, your timing is fine. I use Mobil 1 or Amsoil, in (4) vehicles, and have for several years. I try to stock-up on Mobile 1, if I see it on sale at Pep Boys or Autozone. It has been on sale with a free Mobile 1 filter, during the summer.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah my autozone has that sale quite a bit. I actually ignor it now, because my chances of walking in there and getting the sale are pretty good, lol.

joetm

Reaction score
i have 3500 miles on my 08 tahoe ... should I start using synth now?

If so --weight recommendation?? or just use the same weight?
--this will be my first oil change should I have changed the oil sooner after a break in period or something?
--How often should I change the oil? Does it even need to be changed at 3500mi (ive always changed my cars at 3500mi on conv oil--- 5k on synth)

Thanks in advance

jetskied

Reaction score
It does not matter when you decide to switch to synthetics. There was an issue in the old days with older cars leaking synthetic oil past the seals. The reason is because on some of these older cars they ran very thick oils and since synthetic oils were thinner and smaller molecules than a SAE30 or 20W50 racing oil they can cause some seepage. Todays car are designed to run thinner oils like the recomended 5W30 for the Tahoes. So go ahead and run any oil you wish. To answer some questions I would run 5W30 synthetic and probably change it every 6-7K miles. It probably can go longer, but oil is cheaper than a rebuild.

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that its not recommended to start your engine life with a synthetic oilQUOTE]

Who's making this recommendation?

New Corvettes have been factory filled w/ Mobil 1 since 1990.

hey may be just referring to how one would treat a freshly built motor (with regards to break in procedures). if this is the case, he is obviously not taking into regards the fact running full synthetic on a brand new car fresh off the boat or assembly line is not harmful whatsoever.

however i switched at 46k to mobil 1 extended 5w30 and enjoy the results. to my recollection i am getting better mpg; however, the oil life indicator seems to be decreasing quicker.