BOSE or no BOSE... that is the question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Someone knows better than I but I'm not sure what frequency the factory amp sends to that sub. I wanna estimate that it it crosses in the 40hz range. I dont see it playing lower than that. Make sure of this somewhere that way you dont buy more of a LOC than you need. Some have frequency adjustments. The factory amp SHOULD have this done for you. You will only need a 2 channel also.

cincinnati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok cool good info. i'm gunna do a aftermarket sub in the rear compartment and and aftermarket amp to drive the sub and keep the bose speakers and head unit for now. i think it will sound decent. should set me back about $350 or so from a shop and thats amp, single sub, wiring, l.o.c. ect.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah a single 12" with 300 watts coming from the loc will sound fine. It will destroy what I have I bet because yours will be in an actual box like it's supposed to be. You'll be fine.

cincinnati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah a single 12" with 300 watts coming from the loc will sound fine. It will destroy what I have I bet because yours will be in an actual box like it's supposed to be. You'll be fine.
will a 12" sub in a box fit in the factory location in the rear ?

cincinnati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think i'll keep it simple and just put a 10" in the stock location and hopefully don't have to modify a lot.

speedr1023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I enjoy my bose system, it is a lot better sound than from my 96 p/u. I crank it up and don't get any distortion. The bass is pretty good, but could be more.

cam5728

Reaction score
I have an 01 Yuk slt, w/the sub int he rear but the radio does not say bose. Do I have the bose radio ??

normanviking

Reaction score
I have an '04 yukon with BOSE and the RSE. The movies sound awesome. Surround sound and all in the truck. When the little robot dude flys around in the beginning of a movie, THX, you can hear it in the corners of the truck., just like going to the movies. I am not into disturbing everyone else with my music, but I really like my BOSE. IT sounds nice and clear and has enough power.

tnezukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the stock system goes, Bose sounds great. I admit it could use more bass, so wire in a sub but as far as the mids and highs go there arent many aftermarket speakers than can touch the clarity of Bose speakers.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the stock system goes, Bose sounds great. I admit it could use more bass, so wire in a sub but as far as the mids and highs go there arent many aftermarket speakers than can touch the clarity of Bose speakers.

On what grounds is this assumption?

Its the same paper woofer as no BOSE. The only difference is that is amplified, crossed and location of the tweeter.

There are plenty of after market speakers that replace the quality of the stock BOSE setups.

leardc

Reaction score
I'm doing initial research on upgrading my Bose system in my '05. I'm likely to go with a new head unit, the adapter from Crutchfield that keeps the onstar, and the adapter to retain steering wheel controls.

Can you replace the Bose speakers with better aftermarkets and still use the existing factory Bose amps? I think I read somewhere that they are 2 ohm speakers?