Brake line Repair/ DIY OR NO?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering. I recently had my brake pedal get spongy only to find that i have a leak in one of my lines right at one of the flares. All the lines look pretty damn rusted so i was wondering if i should get them all replaced? Or just repair that one leak with a compression fitting( Yes i said it compression lol everyone freak out now.)

If i should replace them all anyone have a round about estimate as to how much it would cost and wheres a cheap place to bring it?

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Dont know about how much the entire lines replaced will cost.

I have used compression fitting in the past with great results. I think they have a bad rap due to a lot of people replacing them incorrectly.

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright thanks for the fast response, How long have your compression fittings been on? And how exactly do you install them?

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did all my brake lines on my 4dr hoe all by myself. It was about 50 bucks for everything and well my time too.. but its kinda complicated and alot of time.. I have no idea what aplace would charge for that. probably alot of money.. lol

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id replace the whole line, but that being said ive seen compressions last a long time when done properly.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I went to replace brake lines, there were problems. I couldn't get the fittings out from the master cylinder. Along with that, I couldn't remove the clamps on the firewall.

Since I didn't have factory replacement lines, I had bought brake line and a double flaring tool.

Double flaring SUCKS!! If you do it, here's a tip: aneal the end before trying to double flare it!

I broke my double flaring adapter.

I had to cut the brake line. Where it was along the frame, it wasn't easy to get a mini pipe cutter in there. I ended up using a dremel with a cutting wheel. This worked great. I also used the Dremel to clean the area for the compression fitting. The compression fitting fit great and worked just like it was suppose to.

Now the only problem is... once you fix that problem, will another area show weakness and pop. yup... it did for us. We had to keep replacing pieces here and there.

In the end, it's probably best for you to replace the whole line.

Hope this helps.

Hardwarz

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agree hardwarz. if only a section rust out, say, due to frame clamp or something similar, compression will work. if total line is looking shaky, change entire line. cheaper in the long run with less headaches