Broken Exterior Door Handle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

footinSD

Reaction score
I am obviously rough on my door handles. I replaced my drivers side door handle inside a couple years ago, and now my drivers side exterior handle is cracked.

Has anyone replaced the exterior handle before? I am just curious if its much different than the interior, and if the lock cylinder causes any issues. Any tips will help.

WH0DAMAN

Reaction score
It's not very difficult. The handle has one bolt that is visable when the door is open on the jamb. The other one is accessable when the trim panel is removed. There is a rod that runs to the lock cylinder witch is fastened in place with a keeper. It's a pretty straight forward process.

NYrr496

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And after you've replaced them a couple of times, you start treating them nicer, 'cause while it isn't overly difficult, it really isn't any fun.

718frankb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try to get a OEM door handle the cheap ones on ebay dont fit perfect and are made with a cheaper cast than oem.good luck changing it let me know how many knuckles are bleeding when your done!

footinSD

Reaction score
I did notice the OEM interior handle I purchased was much thicker plastic than the factory handle, so I do think it will last much longer. Hopefully the exterior is the same.

WH0DAMAN

Reaction score
I did notice the OEM interior handle I purchased was much thicker plastic than the factory handle, so I do think it will last much longer. Hopefully the exterior is the same.

???? :confused2: OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Thats the same as "factory". If you purchase something not made by the original manufacturer than it is called an aftermarket part.

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
???? :confused2: OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Thats the same as "factory". If you purchase something not made by the original manufacturer than it is called an aftermarket part.

someone probally replaced it once before..? maB?

WH0DAMAN

Reaction score
I think I read that wrong. Now that I read it again it looks like you purchased an OEM handle and it was thicker than the one that was on the truck. My bad. Sorry about that.

footinSD

Reaction score
Honestly I dont know what the situation was, but I got an OEM, made sure of it, and it seemed to be "thicker" plastic that is more durable than the interior handle that was on there in the first place.

You're right, when it comes to something like this, OEM is the only way to go IMO.

Snow

Reaction score
latemodelrestoration.com has individual handles and a package of all 5 for about $70 total. Just ordered a single driver's door handle for $20 among other little things.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I can see where it could get confusing with some of the stuff on autozone shelves called "oem replacements" or the company called "OE solutions" or even better, I bought a new plastic upper intake for a 3.8 v6 and the brand name was "OEM"

I guess they're counting on people hearing "buy OEM!" and not knowing.

And my interior handle just broke sun night. I went to oreillys to buy a cheap Dorman/OE solutions/HELP! one and the guy must've seen me put down the window and reach out "let me guess, a new handle?" it'd suck if the interior and exterior both broke at the same time. (I haven't even opened up my cheap oreillys one to look at much less put it in. maybe tonight.)

Last edited:

Beef

Reaction score
Well after fooling around for about an hour it still isnt on right and one of the small 10mm fell down in the door I swear this damn truck has been fightin me ever since I bought the damn thing.......