buy a 97 yukon with some issues, what am i getting myself into??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymt21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that truck is the most beautiful thing i have ever seen

Black96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
willamsport PA (college) souderton Pa ( home)
wow thats a steal, did u fix the rear?? ive blown out a few rears to and now i put a detriot tru trac in and its a charm, you dont feel the thing lock or unlock and rides smooth, i also trashed a set of gears too :-x lol so i got yukon gears in, but if you didn't fix the rear yet i would recommend a tru trac, it rides and holds up very well. but yeah im deff jelouse of that 2door lol i got my own black like that, and man you got the set up i would just love thats a deff good steal for those smaller problems

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so are the captains chairs moved back farther and welded to the floor where it comes up between the wheel wells? sorry with all the Q's, haha, but i hate the bench seat and would love to put in captains chairs and maybe a couple 12's in between them in a custon set-up.

the bumper looks like one from LMC, they have a front bumper that almost matches that one, though i don't see that exact one. was a bit of work to inset those lights and diamond plating the top of it for a regular stocker. looks good either way.

YukonRidin23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the captains chairs go right to where the back rises up , i would guess where the old bench seats went? there made by steel flyer, and are seriously the most comfortable captains chairs i have ever sat in, just think first class airplane seats and thats basically what they are. the rear are welded in place, but can lean back. The drivers seat has seperate controls for the front and rear to go up and down, back and forth, lean, and back pressure.

i havent got it fixed yet, its kinda messy under there because who ever took it apart before did a half a$$ job putting it back together. this weekened im putting it on my buddys lift and were going to do it then.

YukonRidin23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, i was curious if anyone has ever, or even heard of putting a range rover front clip on these trucks? i think it would deffinitely add alot of style, and the conversion couldnt be to heard, just searching for some dimensions now.....?

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never heard of a rover swap on one, but theres a kit out there to put like a 50's style front end on them. doesn't look to bad, but i wouldn't do it to mine. haha.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man, that thing is all kinds of customed... I never saw a stock bumper with built in backup lights, and is that a suede headliner?
dude. take more pictures ( i mean, please take me pictures :))

How come no one around here sells trucks like that for cheap. YOU GOT A GREAT DEAL.

YukonRidin23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright everyone, heres some more, sorry for the quality, i took them with my iphone but my other camera is broken right now :(
these are the back seats, just to get you an idea
truck6.jpg

this is the back area, the small sub enclosure, and the black carpet box on the right side is covering a custom fiberglass box to cover the amp and all the wiring
truck5.jpg

just a view from the rear
truck4.jpg

if you turn your head, you can see the rsx remote for the air ride in the dash(the two gauges and red button) and the kenwood 10 disc changer along with the custom center console
truck3.jpg

just the trim
truck2.jpg

and a view from behind
truck1.jpg

supaman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
clean!!!extremely clean lookin my friend cant complain on 3 grand at all..couple grand invested and ur lookin golden

kennyvvvv

Reaction score
seats

hey can u post a pic showing those back seats and how they are bolted and also what seats they are. cool truck add about two grand to that truck and u will be the envy of all new truck owners

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah thats insane on the inside...
I wonder if your dash is coming off. can that be pushed back on? Lots of customizing to the interior.. I really like it. the seats look like they are from a full sized van. DMC Van seats maybe?

\now I want black carpet, lol.

Im just gonna take off my shoes and lay in the back recliner seats and watch a movie on that big ass screen. awesome.

YukonRidin23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, thats what i thought myself, if you guys havent heard the song "sh!Ts so clean, take ya shoes off"

YukonRidin23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, today im cleaning off the rims inside, and all the wheel wells and underneath as well. each hub has an adapter, that im going to paint red, along with each caliper, and then a new rubberized undercoat. i think the inside of the rims are damaged a little(corrosion spots), so i was thinking of maybe getting that painted as well, but not sure if ill like it yet. anyways, the reason i took the rims off is because i needed an easier access to the rear differential, which to my father and i looks fine, and seems as if we just replace the bolts and fill it that'll work.
Im pretty sure a gear went in the transfer case though, it shifts smooth, and will ride forward and back with no clunk, but while moving, sometimes it sounds as if a "gear" slips, and grinds really loud until i put it in park and back into gear? if this is the case and the front and rear are still solid, ill order up a new transfer case right away. as for the rancho rsx remote compression adjuster for the rancho rs-series shocks, he told me it needed the compressor replaced, when i got under the truck the ground wire was unplugged, as soon as i fixed that it worked great.

As for the seats, there made by a company called steelflyer. they make marine and rv seats, as well as custom home pieces. im guessing these are just rv seats? i cant find any model identification number or anything, but i do need to order a part for the rear right one so i dont really know where to go from there..

YukonRidin23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hah, i wouldnt even sell it for what i paid, its deffinitely worth much more than that. and seeing how easy its becoming to fix im extremely happy with it.

YukonRidin23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey, im trying to get some bolts for the differential cover, i only have 2 and id like 10 more. do you guys think my local hardware store will have some, i looked them up and there size is........5/16" - 18x3/4" Hex Head Bolts. im sure if i brought one with me along with the size i could get some? if not do you guys think an autozone, or pepboys would carry them?

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah an autzone might have them. if you take them to the hardware store, tell the guy ( not a kid, but an old guy) what your using them for so he gives you the strongest stuff they have. I would hate to see you torque off a bolt in the case itself... causing you to sell the whole she-bang to rocky for 1000$.