buy a 97 yukon with some issues, what am i getting myself into??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonRidin23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, im new here and this is my first post. next week im suppose to go be checking out and picking up my yukon. its done up pretty well, and its a great price, but it has some issues.
the guy says the transfer case and rear differential need work and the truck will be towed, but i would be able to drive it up on the flat bed, so assuming that im guessing it wont be diggin a hole to deep in my wallet. i know its hard to say, but before i go to check it out id like to have an idea of what the problem's are on these trucks and what to look out for. It only has 89,000 miles and has a whipple supercharger installed. he also said it needs exhaust work, so am i going to need to get headers on it since its supercharged or will the stock yukon headers be fine? and if so, could i just run like a cat-back system from flowmaster or w/e?
also, are the differentials and transfers case a known problem or weak area on these trucks? im guessing the guy was trying to do burnouts or something and ate the diff because the charger and the rims on the truck are somewhat large.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are buying a truck that was severely beat on. Rear differential, transfer case, and exhaust need to be fixed, you are talking hundreds, maybe even close to a grand depending on what the problems actually are and whether or not you can do work yourself. If you can't do work yourself, that will get real pricey. Find out if this guy did the work himself, find out if he changed the rear end gears, and if so, was he smart enough to change the front differential gears to match? The engine is charged, so you want a free flowing exhaust system so you get equal flow of air through your engine and there is no bottle neck. If he doesn't already have them, get headers on it; long tube headers and dual exhaust with a nice flowing muffler.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the rear ends in these trucks are a weak point adn i can see how it could be easy torn up since its supercharged and even more so if its got big rims and tires on it.

the T-case could have been torn up from the rear end going out, or from the truck being abused, or something wasn't perfect on it.

the exhaust could be anything from some dumbass trying to cut the cats and muffler off and weld it up, to the truck just being trashed.

honestly your going to be in over a grand its to bad to drive it, and maybe more if they have to be completely rebuilt.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know.. ive torn alooot of rear-ends out with out messing up the t-case.. tuff lil t-case in these trucks... - maybe its something simple like a seal leaking? - but the rear-diff ya known problem.. and is expected specially w/ the supercharger, your gonna want to put in an aftermarket rear to try to hold up to the power pushing out.. and keep in mind if you change the rear-ratio than you have to change the front ratio as well

YukonRidin23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the exhaust was just rusted, the truck is not that beat, only a mere 89,000 miles on a 97, extremely clean. im Going to pick it up wensday and post pics then. I have a local shop that will install the flowmaster dual exhaust(have to go in before i know what type) for 300? and im guessing headers are another 300? i was guessing around 1500 in repairs(exhaust, transfer, and differential). the price of this truck is a steal, so im not too worried about spending a couple grand to fix it.

Attachments

• truck9.jpg
    truck9.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... I'm not a fan of big rims but that truck looks cool as hell man. Really sweet looking, congrats.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude.
I dont care if you have to flinstone's that mofo around thru the floor boards until you can fix the rear end... thats looks rad.

YukonRidin23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oooo, what a deal it is, pick it up when the guy gets back in town for 3000! im pumped and cant wait, it has suede headline, a 14 inch tv in the back, custom leather captain chair to replace the back bench seat, 2 jl w6 10's, all jl speakers, kenwood touchscreeen and the 23" oz rims, its sick.

YukonRidin23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also curous, the exhaust is rusted out so i need a new system, not the headers just the cat-back. i was thinking of getting a local shop to put in a set of dual flowmasters for 300(its a sale, not sure on the type though), but wouldnt mind getting headers and an exhaust, i just dont know who makes a good exhaust for trucks.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn thats a good price as long as there aren't any problems he hasn't told you about.

i would put headers on it and have the shop build you a custom true dual exhaust system.

95twintt has a sweet set-up on his.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t want to rain on your parade, but you might want to be aware of what a supercharger can do to a stock engine. GM was not expecting the extra chamber pressure, so the rings are a bit weak for a S/C. Look for signs of “blow by”. Oil leads around the front or rear of the intake manifold, or around the timing cover.

If they have kept it at six pounds or less, you should be able to go for a while before the rebuild. I guess I would just go with a cat back for now until you can get a feel for what it needs or doesn’t need. Going in at that price, you can’t loose.

At some point you will probably want to upgrade the pistons and rings. If you get the fever, to take the boost up, it will take a few more parts.

The other possibility is that they had the boost higher and did some damage with pre-ignition. That is the kind of thing you won’t know about until you pull a head.

See if you can find out if there were any performance changes done to the transmission. If not, you may have a visit with a transmission shop in your future.

Or, if you are in a shop with the transfer case and rear end anyway, that would be a good time to go through the trans. They will have half of the R & R parts done with the transfer case being out. Tranmission parts themselves are not the expense, it’s the taking the trans out and putting it in again. It probably needs a set of 3rd and 4th gear, clutch disc’s.

Sorry for the precipitation………….

Good luck, the truck looks great………..

Last edited:

YukonRidin23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright, sounds good. the supercharger has only been on there for 20000 miles, and the truck only has 89,000 so it shouldnt be too bad. i will be able to do a rebuild after a couple thousand miles.

YukonRidin23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright, i have another question. im looking for a transfer case, and cant find a new one for my truck? i see many used ones with 100000 miles or so, but i dont really want to replace it with a used part unless i have to, if i go that route do you know how long the transfer cases usually last? also, got it, heres some more pics!

Attachments

• truck7.jpg
    truck7.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 34
  • truck12.jpg
    truck12.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 39
  • truck14.jpg
    truck14.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 38
  • truck13.jpg
    truck13.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 28
  • truck10.jpg
    truck10.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 41

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you looked into having yours rebuilt? im pretty sure mines never been out of my truck and its got 168K on it.

any idea on the maker of that rear bumper? truck looks really good, liking the air horns under the hood and are those rear captains chairs?

YukonRidin23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yessir, those are rear captains, extremely comfortables ones at that. as for the bumper im not so sure, but ill see if i can find out tommarow.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know its asking alot but can you take a picture of the brackets on those captains chairs?

YukonRidin23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, ill do that tommarow as well. i was curious if putting the captains chairs in is hard? but ill snag some pics and post em up tommarow or friday when i go back to the garage.

YukonRidin23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alrgith, i cant figure out the who made the bumper, but i think its just a pwdercoated blck stock bumper? the back seats are all welded into the chassis, there is no mounts.