bypass for dvd playback in dash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foytix

Reaction score
are there any tricks to keep the factory nav/dvd playing while in drive. Personally i've no intrest in driving and watching but the wife would like to see what's going on. thanks for any advice

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was talking to this girl with a Denali, and she SWEARS that her brother was able to rig the wiring so that it plays DVDs while in drive, without a lockpick. I always thought it would be possible but still not sure what to do without a wiring diagram. I asked her if she has to push the mute button a number of times and she said no, it's automatic. I'm gonna see if I can get more info from her, or her brother, and take a look at it myself. I will let you guys know if I find anything.

Also, I know I've seen threads in here where the XM category full scrolling feature, limited in drive, was also solved by the Lockpick. Thought I should let you guys know that I found, somewhere in the factory control options, a selection that does allow you to choose to have full category scrolling while driving. No need for the Lockpick for that one, anyway. I will go through it tomorrow so I can relay the process here for those that want to figure it out.

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only negative I've heard of the lockpick that it disables the tracking of your vehicle's location on the navi as it bypasses the speed sensor. I don't have it myself and probably won't get it if this is true.. can anyone confirm this?

08Tahoer

Reaction score
Black dog i'm interest in the info that you get from your friends brother.

i came across the xm option you are taking about. I disabled the lockout under a one of the systems menu right when i bought vehicle so not sure what exactly was different.

vroom and black dog heard the same thing. And like you guys I don't want to hop on one foot while balancing a ball on my nose as i press a door button and hit mute 5 times, all the while leaving my nav useless.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get it, and as soon as I come up with something I will definately start a thread.

And the XM, when it's locked you can go to the folder screen, but you can't scroll the category pages. It stays on whatever page it's on. Don't remember if it does it to the station list too, but I think it does.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think GM should have added a sensor on the passenger seat. It would detect the weight of a passenger and then allow the all the touch screen controls to be operated and the DVD to play on the front screen while in motion. This sensor could worked similar to the seatbelt or airbag sensor.

Last edited:

dknappia

Reaction score
I have the lockpick installed GMX-320 and nav works just fine...My first thought was similar to other posts here, too much button pushing, but its really not that bad and the blue tooth usage with a cell phone makes the lock pick all worth it.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the lockpick installed GMX-320 and nav works just fine...My first thought was similar to other posts here, too much button pushing, but its really not that bad and the blue tooth usage with a cell phone makes the lock pick all worth it.

how does the automatic setting work?

Do you need to hit buttons everytime you restart the truck? I was looking for sometime that I connect/program one time and dont have to touch it again.

dknappia

Reaction score
You do need to repush the buttons everytime you want to play a video on the front screen, otherwise its normal operation.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got some info from the girl with the non-Lockpick bypass, and it's not the info we wanted...At first she said it was spliced up with no parts, now she's saying it does have interface modules and she paid $1300 for it. She said her brother does all the electrical work for all the top shows and is the best in the world, and he's the only person alive who can do this and that he wouldn't tell me how. Also says she can play 2 different movies front and back and play different radio stations at the same time (maybe they all do the station thing and I don't realize it?) but I looked in her truck and it has the factory rear screen (no disc). Apparently there's some kind of ipod interface involved... And she said she has satellite tv, that's when I said what? you have a dish on your roof that stays fixed in one direction at all times? and she said yeah, hidden in the special Denali roof rack that I don't have. Oh and also she has one of only 500 special order supercharged 5.2L (her words), the rest are police only, and they don't make 6.2L any more. So because I don't smoke crack I had to get out of there quick. I still want to look into her truck though to see exactly what it does have. Suddenly the Lockpick doesn't sound so bad. Oh well, if I hear anymore useless entertainment I'll keep you guys posted.

misonido

Reaction score
GM Solutions video shows you how it works, what I have found when using the "unlock" destination input while moving is that you have to "lock" the input by hitting the window lock button 4 more times. This will re-enable the vehicle tracking and your position on the GPS screen will update accordingly.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got some info from the girl with the non-Lockpick bypass, and it's not the info we wanted...At first she said it was spliced up with no parts, now she's saying it does have interface modules and she paid $1300 for it. She said her brother does all the electrical work for all the top shows and is the best in the world, and he's the only person alive who can do this and that he wouldn't tell me how. Also says she can play 2 different movies front and back and play different radio stations at the same time (maybe they all do the station thing and I don't realize it?) but I looked in her truck and it has the factory rear screen (no disc). Apparently there's some kind of ipod interface involved... And she said she has satellite tv, that's when I said what? you have a dish on your roof that stays fixed in one direction at all times? and she said yeah, hidden in the special Denali roof rack that I don't have. Oh and also she has one of only 500 special order supercharged 5.2L (her words), the rest are police only, and they don't make 6.2L any more. So because I don't smoke crack I had to get out of there quick. I still want to look into her truck though to see exactly what it does have. Suddenly the Lockpick doesn't sound so bad. Oh well, if I hear anymore useless entertainment I'll keep you guys posted.

all mann.. sucks LOL

but I have seen the TV modules in play. Some pickup regular channels and some have cable/satellite options, but cost much more.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Group/ProductMenu.aspx?g=254850&tp=81

http://www.mobilevideo4less.com/tracvision.html

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/337/C12078/

Last edited:

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I see how it works now in the second link, when I woke up today I was thinking "okay I guess there could be a design for antenae that picks up the signal from all angles". Now I see this, it's a huge disc that covers the roof- she definately doesn't have that. Sure looks neat to have but I don't know about that disc.

diffrnt

Reaction score
Grounding switch

Hey guys,

I have a Clarion indash DVD player and wanted it to show when I was driving. So I installed a switch on the green wire(this is wire that goes to the ebrake) and grounded the other side of the switch. Whenever I want the DVD to show, I flip the switch off then on again. This tricks the radio into thinking the ebrake is up. Hope this helps.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a Clarion indash DVD player and wanted it to show when I was driving. So I installed a switch on the green wire(this is wire that goes to the ebrake) and grounded the other side of the switch. Whenever I want the DVD to show, I flip the switch off then on again. This tricks the radio into thinking the ebrake is up. Hope this helps.

Hope this helps??? If this works your gonna be the new hero around here! If your stereo uses the same signalling as the factory unit, which it probably does, then I'm sure it will work. Still don't get what it has to do with the e-brake; when I was trying to figure it out I threw it from drive to park without touching the main brake pedal, and of course the screen went off. It must be like a secondary circuit on the e-brake that completes a primary one, or a redundant circuit, or geez I don't effing know! But I'd give my left nut (okay, someone elses left nut) for a wiring diagram on this truck. Seriously, if this works you're gonna have a lot of friends around here. Talk about the things Coastaletech didn't want you to know... I always thought their product was just a fancy box with a looped wire as the main feature.:D

2007TahoeLTZ4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think the way it works is the the car tells the radio hey your in drive and then the radio puts up the limitations, with that said however i know that the vss (speed sensor) wire is taken away by the lockpick to trick the car to thinking its stopped

i say all of this just hypothesizing but im almost positive that the car through GMLAN tells it what to do....how do you think pressing the window lockout button can be detected by the lockpick when no other wires are ran

and i know that the car tells it its vin to see if it matches with the one programmed inside the radio the lockpick is alot more complicated than you might think