cargo hatch not locking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

myotis

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2006 Tahoe. The cargo hatch will not lock using the keyless entry or by using the door button. There physically is no key lock on the rear hatch, so I can't lock it manually. Am I missing something as far as how to lock the hatch? I'm assuming there must be a lock solenoid somewhere in the hatch door. How to I get to it and how do I test it? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

I would check the wiring harness where it goes into the hatch in the "Jam" so to speak to make sure that you do not have pinched wiring in the harness itself from opening and closing. Start there and see if that helps...

myotis

Reaction score
There are no wires pinched in the hatch jam. I also checked all the fuses. I had to find instructions on another forum on how to remove the hatch trim panels. I tested the wires and I'm getting juice to the hatch solenoid or lock actuator. It'll twitch a little, but won't move enough to lock or unlock. Looks like it's toast, so I need a new one.

myotis

Reaction score
Yep, I had to replace the lock actuator. You need to remove the two parts (upper and lower) of the interior trim panels from the hatch to get to it.

glsmoove2000

Reaction score
Cool how long did it take you to replace and did you get the parts from the dealership or junkyard?

myotis

Reaction score
It didn't take too long. You just have to be careful removing the inner trim. It's held on by clips that need to be carefully pulled out. Then open up the glass window to remove two push pin fasteners by the latch.

As for the lock actuator, you have basically three options. Buy a new one from GM which is very expensive due to the fact it is the whole latch assembly and cables and actuator or buy a salvage yard one or you can just get the solenoid on eBay/auto parts store (will have to drill out the rivets on the old actuator to replace it).

hendedo

Reaction score
We have the opposite problem; it doesn't UN-lock!!! we hit the key fob and / or the driver door switch and it is hit or miss. Sometimes it takes up to 10 minutes to open it. I can hear switches clicking for the doors, but not on the lift gate. Then when I hear it 'click' it opens.

I need views how to remove the trim panels and where I can get a new switch without spending too much.
Thank you.

myotis

Reaction score
I looked, but apparently I didn't save the instructions or diagrams. It's not hard. The interior trim on the cargo hatch is two pieces, the lower panel and the upper part around the window. There is one bolt that holds the pull handle and a couple of those plastic push-pin fasteners that you need to lift the glass to get access. Other than that, the trim is just held on by hidden clips that you carefully pull out.

Once the trim is off, you'll see the latch actuator. The cheapest way to fix it is to buy just the actuator (solenoid) off eBay (probably a cheap Chinese knock-off part). Since the actuator is held onto the latch plate with rivets, you'll have to drill them out and install the new part with little bolts/nuts obtained from the hardware store.

I was in a big hurry due to an upcoming trip and wanted it to last a few years, so decided to get the GM part from the stealership. They had it in stock fortunately. Trust me, it was very expensive (they sell you the whole assembly including all new cables).