Cat Back vs. just muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04Z71FL

Reaction score
Was under the Tahoe last weekend and there is not much piping after the muffler. I am indifferent on the chrome tip, just looking to add performance. How much more gain or benefit is it to get a cat back system vs. just replacing the muffler?

Other mods:
AEM Brute Intake
Hypertech Programmer

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add a flowmaster or Magnaflow muffler. The stock piping is actually a very decent size until you're making like 300+ at the wheels, then you'd probably need to upgrade everything and get headers. Plus, it's stainless steel. Always a good thing.

Sell the Hypertech, add the muffler, then use the money from the programmer to get a Black Bear cable tune. Your truck will be a completely different animal after that.

sasquatch

Reaction score
i just put a flowmaster 50 series catback with dual side outlet on my 05 yukon, the only reason i didn`t just swap a new muffler in is because i have an extreme hatred for single side exit exhaust.

as yuke2k said, the stock pipes are more than adequate and being stainless is great.

i can feel the difference in acceleration and i can maintain speed on flat roads with alot less pedal than before.

and i have to ask.....what exactly is a cable tune? i`m interested in getting some type of programmer but i`m curious about the cable tune before i get one.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and i have to ask.....what exactly is a cable tune? i`m interested in getting some type of programmer but i`m curious about the cable tune before i get one.

A power programmer, or "chip" if you will, only changes very specific tables in the PCM...they are cookie cutter tunes that only make very mild changes. Not much power can be made with them. A cable tune on the other hand, is the BEST way you can possibly tune your PCM short of someone running EFI Live and actually sticking your truck on a dyno...but even then, Justin's tunes are the shiznit compared to most. :thumbsup:

Anyway, a Black Bear cable tune is very simple. Justin sends you a datalogging cable that you plug into your OBD-II port. You drive around with it for a day or two, and it reads all of the sensors, temperatures, and parameters for your particular truck. You send this data back to justin via e-mail, and he custom programs a tune just for your vehicle based on that data. There is a LOT of power to be made in the stock programming, and justin is the resident guru on extracting every last bit of it. Since the data he collects comes from YOUR exact truck (not just one of the same model year, etc), it allows him to squeeze as much power as possible out of the tuning without making your truck unsafe or unreliable.

I do not have one of his tunes yet, but I've talked to justin and jenna via e-mail several times, and they know what they are doing. Everyone I've talked to who does have one of thier tunes has said that there is a night and day power difference, and most gain between 1-3 mpg! There is a deposit for the cable and PCM core charge, but as long as you return his equipment to him in within the specified time frame, which is two weeks the last time I checked, all of the deposits are 100% refunded. All told, one of his tunes only costs $200 after all of the deposits are refunded...and it will be the best $200 you've ever spent on your truck. :D

Get rid of that Hypertech programmer, and go here for more info: www.blackbearperformance.com