cheap safe way to lower

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

screamin86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im wanting to lower my yukon xl 4x4 a little i dont want to slam it just enough to level it out. i kinda want it for function and form im no so used to climbing up into vehicles and with us loading the baby in and out it becomes kinda of a pain in the ass. i plan on rims win the near future along with some more performance mods so i want it to look right and handle decent too. i cant help it i gotta make it fast :yesnod:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a look at where your torsion bar bolt are adjusted and you should be able to drop the front a good inch. Get some 3" coils for the back off ebay, I think somebody sells the McGaughey's cheap you could even do some 2" rear coils if you don't want it too low. 1/3 would sit level and ride nice tho, cost you less than $300 for coils, shock extensions, and an alignment.

screamin86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok cool thanks. are there any good tips or write ups on doing this ive never done it to such a large vehicle lol

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Try this link on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car...836|39:1|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

And this link for a how to

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums...keys-torsion-bar-cranking-replacing-tech.html

Mind you that the how to link is for info on dropping the front of your truck. The rear is as simple as raising the truck, supporting the truck on its frame with jack stands. Jacking up the differential, loosening the shocks and sway bar, lower differential, remove the stock coils. Replace the coils with the drop coils, attach shock extensions, raise differential, attach shocks and sway bar.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Depending on the set, that set may already come with them. If not, I looked on Ebay and www.stylintrucks.com At the time I was looking, stylin trucks had a special for 20% off which was cheaper than the cost would have been through Ebay.

06tahoez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went this route to lower my Tahoe. I did it with 3" Eibach lowering coils, cranked the stock keys down (although I have a set of purple keys to put on) and a set of Belltech shock extenders. It's sitting at 34 1/2 in the rear and 34 3/4 in the front. The height difference is barely noticeable but at some point, I will level it out, likely when I install the purple keys.

screamin86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
about how much did you have to crank them down? im thinking about buying the complete kit but for now just do the coils and shock extenders then keys latter prob after winter when it starts warming back up. ill be doing lt headers and new exhaust in the spring so i would do the new keys then

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
IIRC there really isnt a set amount that someone would know how much to turn your keys. Your best bet is to install your rear coils and shock entenders. Take a measurement of the rear from bottom center of wheel to body. Then adjust your keys to the closest and safest measurement you can to get it close to the rear.

mikeb33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you only need shock extenders if you have autoride? How much adjustment is available in the front torsion bars? If you lower it a lot, does the spring rate go way down and get too soft?