clunk upon acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
03 ext, when accelerating i get a clunk underneath vehicle. feels like middle say trans/transfer case area. u joints are good. front rear changed last year. if gas pedal is feathered clunk not really noticable.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY 03 silverado had this, Had the tranny replaced and it does not make the noise anymore, teh clunk was the 1-2 shift. Even worse when speeding up.

str8wkd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 03 kon has this clunk trans is new feels like the transfer case to me seems to be geting worse over time to

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just re read the OPs post. Mine actully was horrible if I was super light on the throttle. Then got even worse about normal throttle, But heavy trottle was smooth as butter, could not understand it, but dealer said tranny was slipping from 1-2. So new 4L60E went in and got built to be alot more tough. Wanted a 4L80E but it was to much money and hassle to deal with.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems to be a common problem, only noticable at speeds under 20-25ish. thanks for the quick replies.

Tahoe7689

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem!! Is there any way to fix it besides a whole new transmission

str8wkd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont think a new trans will help I have a new trans and it still dose it mine does it 2nd to 3rd and when you slow down and then back on gas

thaslick1

Reaction score
well if it's not the trans what could it be, bc I have no problem spending a little money to fix it but nobody can tell what it is

chevytech03

Reaction score
Try pulling the drive shaft and lube the splines on the inside of yoke, gm has some special lube for this, or just try some wheel brng grease, could be dry splines.

Jimmy2000AF

Reaction score
Try tightning the four bolts that hold the transmission cross brace in. That might do the trick.