Cold air Intake or just K&N filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brielly

Reaction score
Can ayone explain the benefit of getting the full cold air intake over just getting the K&N filter that fits in the stock box? I'd like to see some modest performance and mpg gains and was thinking of one of these combined with a higher flowing muffler. Any thoughts?

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on their site they show actual dyno results of the gains. they give an average hp gain with the filter vs. the whole system. your def. going to get a little more out of the whole kit, but it depends on how much you wanna spend.

LaCeS OuT

Reaction score
Do what I did, although I put an Outerwear on it now:

11162008001.jpg

11162008002.jpg

11162008004.jpg

brielly

Reaction score
Funny I had that idea already. Did you notice and increase in performance or mileage? I saw another post where someone modified the bottom with a tube that went below to suck in more cold air. I also found some cheap cold air tubing that could replace the restrictive stock tube. I want to do this cheap and save my money for the exhaust system. $300 for volant or k&N seems rather steep for a few extra ponies at 5000 rpm's.

LaCeS OuT

Reaction score
Im not gonna lie, I saw a mild increase in acceleration. Its the only mod on the truck right now but it does work, plus is makes noise!! Mileage....Im not too easy on the pedal so I cant give you an answer on that. It didnt make the mileage go down so thats good.

Looks like we think the same, I wanted a cheap intake solution. I refuse to pay $300 for an intake.

NYrr496

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless any of the kits draw air from outside the engine compartment, they're pulling in hot air. All I did was install a Fram Airhog filter in the stock housing.