Corvette servo install trouble.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a nice day weather wise and decided to put a corvette servo in my 'Ho.

I did not realize how tight the tranny is shoehorned into the tunnel. It didn't look like I would have enough room to remove the servo assembly so I abandoned the project for now.:cryin:

Has anyone done this on an '02 4WD or similar and did you have to move the trans? How did you do it?

This is my first 4x4 and I don't want to screw up the truck so close to winter by dropping the transfer case on my head or something.

Thanks,

Ed

RIDE N FLY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would like to get a servo, does anyone have the part number for one so i can match it up to one on ebay

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jenna!

Just what I needed. Servo is installed, gears are still working and I am just waiting for the tranny to explode.

The hardest part was getting the servo cover off as it was corroded in place.

Thanks again,

Ed

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder to those that are contemplating this mod.

You have to destroy the servo cap o-ring to get if off. If you remove the cap and chicken out, or have to go back in because you put one of the pistons in backwards, you will need another o-ring. Better see about ordering a spare as grouchy transmission shops will charge more for the ring than what the servo cost you. :mad2:

Also, for the '02 and similar owners... there is a flat sheet metal plate that's attached to the floor pan above the catalytic converter that gets in the way. If you bend that down a bit with your hand the servo and pin assembly can be coaxed out as one piece after the first 2 pistons are slid off the pin and removed.

Ed

LeadFootCole

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, Ed. I just got my servo in yesterday and I should be getting to it this weekend. I'm a little nervous about doin it, so I checked with a local tranny shop. He said he charged $50/hr and he wasn't sure how long it would take. So I told him I'd just do it myself and I don't want to have to deal with them again. Why are they so grouchy? If you don't like what you do, do something else! Guess he'd just be a grouchy plumber or something.

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe because they feel the stigma of being like lawyers - overpriced purveyors of specialized knowledge that get paid no matter what happens to you.

Anyway, the servo was a fairly easy and cheap mod that makes an instant and noticeable improvement. Once I get a BB Tune I should be very happy with my truck. I MAY even be able to give that 5 year old brat on his Big Wheel down the street a run for his lunch money. :cool:

Ed