cranking and backfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aznpersuasion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so ive put the motor back in and tried cranking it to life to no effect. i thought timing was off but its as close as i can get it by hand i think. so if i let it sit for awhile i can crank it and it will back fire through the intake. i have it hooked up enough just to run. no accessories (none). i have the crank angle plugged in, tps, ignition control module hooked up and the sensor at the back of the distributor. i have triple checked wires and firing order. brand new MSD cap and rotor in case it matters.

amtronic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This can happen when you are 180 out of phase.

aznpersuasion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya, ill flip it again now...could my cam advance be too much for the ecm to cope with? its only like ~6 degrees

aznpersuasion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope, i definitely have the rotor at #1 on TDC compression stroke. took off valve cover to verify. i get a few pops but nothing sustained. and the service engine light is on, but i figured that just because so much crap is unplugged.

amtronic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You put on a new cam chain and sprockets, right? Are you absolutely sure you have them straight up where they should be?

aznpersuasion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, i advanced the crank 4*. i guess i could take off all that crap and go to factory timing. but i dont think 4* degrees would cause it not to start

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotor is not supposed to point to #1 at TDC IIRC.... check the manual again......

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops, didnt realise this was your other thread...... Check the pushrod locations.....

aznpersuasion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i dont know if im dumb or what. but i was reading that if you use the dot to dot method for timing that put ignition timing out by 180*. so i rotated by hand and got #1 tdc compression and set rotor timing now ~#1 and will adjust in the truck. the haynes failed to mention this nuance...so ya. we will see.