Cruise contol problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lone ranger

Reaction score
I have a '99 Tahoe 4x4. The cruise control works intermittently. What are my remedies? Change the unit on the firewall? Change the cable from the unit? Change the driver's stalk? Which is the most logical reason for it too be inconsistent? On my Astro van I changed the driver's stalk and everything was fine. Might there be another reason for it to go bad? Thanks in advance.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the problems I have seen with cruise control systems have been caused by either a servo going out, vacuum problem, or damaged servo cable. None of these was on a Tahoe though. An intermittent problem is much more difficult to troubleshoot, and suggests to me that it may be electrical. I think the first thing I would do is re-seat all the electrical connectors in the cruise control system. However, without being able to look at it myself I cannot help you much.

diehardgm

Reaction score
I have seen the servo strip out a couple of times. It will catch sometimes and other times it wont. Also, a brake switch could be at fault and not letting the cruise set.

shreksbrother

Reaction score
I have a '99 Tahoe 4x4. The cruise control works intermittently. What are my remedies? Change the unit on the firewall? Change the cable from the unit? Change the driver's stalk? Which is the most logical reason for it too be inconsistent? On my Astro van I changed the driver's stalk and everything was fine. Might there be another reason for it to go bad? Thanks in advance.

Same here, year, symptoms, everything. I get so frustrated b/c I drive on the highway a lot. It might work fine for 50 miles, or 5 miles, or not at all. I was thinking of replacing the multi-function switch, as well.

lone ranger

Reaction score
I was thinking of the brake switch also might be the problem. Never thought about the servo.

Is there any way to test which part, servo, brake switch, turn signal stalk, cruise module, stretched cable, might be causing the problem?

RonH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Likely problem area is the multi-function switch (the turn signal lever) or the wiring harness that runs in the steering column that leads to the switch. Bad switch, frayed wires, bad connector -- all can cause intermittent problems.