DDM Tuning HID's Anyone? Can I get some Help here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khool750

Reaction score
Hey, I've found that I'm on here asking more questions then a little bit, but I just got my DDM Apexcone HID's this weekend, and the only thing that came in the box were the HID lights, and the slim ballasts. I was a little confused because I had printed out Xenondepot's write up on installing HID's and found that there is a wire that runs from the junction box on the firewall that supplies continuous power to the ballasts. In the DDM kit, there isn't one, and when I called them today, the tech guy said that I just plug my wiring harness directly to the ballast, and that is the power source. I only need the wiring harness they provide if I drive a ford or if I'm running the 55w ballast. I've put pics of my kit and pics of the wiring harness also, and if anyone has this or any of the DDM kits installed, could you chime in and help me out. I just don't want to order this wiring harness and not need it, and have to deal with shipping that stuff back. Thanks for the help. :hlp::hlp:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he is right. The HID kit takes up less power than stock, Just hook it up and go. 55W or Bi xenon kits, are the only kits I would upgrade the wiring harness for.

khool750

Reaction score
he is right. The HID kit takes up less power than stock, Just hook it up and go. 55W or Bi xenon kits, are the only kits I would upgrade the wiring harness for.

Ok, I just figured that this would be just too easy to install this if I didn't have to wire up anything else. It just seems that these things can't possibly work that easy without incident. You plug the bulb up, then the ballast to your wiring harness and put it back together? Just doesn't seem as high tech without all the fuss of finding an alternate power source. Look at these pics below, this is from Xenondepot's how to install. This is why I have this question, there is a power wire in the install.

Ed Blown Vert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I thought when I got my kit. But it was just plug & play.

I like having the harness with the inline fuse.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well sure you can definalty order the harness and They will preform a tiny bit better, but they will still work just fine in the stock harness.

khool750

Reaction score
Ok,well I think I'm going to give it a try and report back on how this kit does and if I have any problems and suggestions for anyone else wanting to go with this kit. Thanks for the responses.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take some pics with the review. Especially the onroad view.

Ed Blown Vert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok,well I think I'm going to give it a try and report back on how this kit does and if I have any problems and suggestions for anyone else wanting to go with this kit. Thanks for the responses.

You should be fine.

Since I have a Yukon and the DRL's are part of my headlights. The harness comes in handy to keep the DRL's working properly. (The stock harness is only used to switch on the HID's)

khool750

Reaction score
Take some pics with the review. Especially the onroad view.

I will do that. I'm just curious. I just got a pm from xenondepot saying that he's heard a lot of complaints about the ddm kit fickering. That is making me wonder if that has something to do with it not using a direct power source wire, or having it optional. See I wish I had someone that had the kit installed on a tahoe and could stand by the company's claim. I'm going to look through the threads and see if I can find the 2 guys that recommended the company to me. I know one was ordering his the same time I ordered mine and I never heard whether or not he actually hooked his up. Will post when I get answers.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will do that. I'm just curious. I just got a pm from xenondepot saying that he's heard a lot of complaints about the ddm kit fickering. That is making me wonder if that has something to do with it not using a direct power source wire, or having it optional. See I wish I had someone that had the kit installed on a tahoe and could stand by the company's claim. I'm going to look through the threads and see if I can find the 2 guys that recommended the company to me. I know one was ordering his the same time I ordered mine and I never heard whether or not he actually hooked his up. Will post when I get answers.

Take that with a grain of salt. IMO. but a wiring harness is always better than stock.

Ed Blown Vert

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I can see that happening on a Yukon since the DRL's are the headlights. They would get less power when the DRL's are lit.

I think you would be fine, but it sounds like $20 is worth it for piece of mind. :)