Dex Cool/ Radiator Refill?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Heat

Reaction score
On the 5.3 motor, how many quarts/gallons does the system hold? I want to drain and refill it because there is a sale on coolant for 6.99 a gallon!

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I replaced the radiator in my 5.7 I just kept filling it until it looked full. I believe it took around 2 containers.

Z71Heat

Reaction score
on the 5.7 its an "open" system. You can actually see how much is needed. On the 5.3 and 6.0 its a "sealed" system, so only the tank is visible. There is NO Radiator Cap, which SUCKS. Ill figure it out, I was just too lazy to search in my service manual, I thought one of you guys would know off the top of your head. Also, I have heard that certain stores sell a "coolant tester" similar to a pool water tester. Any of you guys heard anything like that??

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting....I did not know this. Well, I guess that makes your job a bit more difficult than mine was....lol

And yes, they do sell coolant testers....it's very similar to the dip stick type pool testers. You could probably get it from any auto parts store I would imagine.

shadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VORTEC 5300 V8 Automatic with front A/C 14.4 quarts (13.7 L)
VORTEC 5300 V8* Automatic with front and rear A/C 15.8 quarts (15.0 L)

From Manual for 2000 Tahoe - Cooling System Capacity (Approximate)

Nappers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't remember what I did, I think I put a gallon of Dex with distilled water and topped off with dex in the tank. I think a touch more than 2 gallons of water. I read in a manual I THINK to use distilled water with the dex and I don't have a leak/bad water pump and temp is fine with 128,000+ miles on the clock.