Dexcool Color

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brielly

Reaction score
Hello I just got my new to me 2000 5.7 tahoe. I bought it from a dealer who was supposed to replace the radiator before delivering it to me. They replaced the radiator but when I looked in the coolant recovery tank it looked clear and in fact I'm pretty sure its water. I called and asked and they said it would take time for the water in the tank to blend with the coolant. Sounded like bs but i waited until the engine cooled and looked in the radiator and that fluid is clear. I'm pretty certain they screwd me just o save a buck on coolant but was wondering if there was any possibility to their claim? Unfortunately they're an hour away so I can't just go back to complain I guess I will need to drain the entire system. Can anyone tell me the location of the block drains? Thanks

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dexcool should be orange for the most part. I've seen it more pinkish-red as of late. I have never seen stuff labeled dexcool clear. There is one coolant that I use at work its called GO-5 its the yellow stuff that goes in ford and chrylers. This stuff when mixed 50/50 comes out with just a light tint of yellow. If you dont know what you are looking for it looks like water. I have used this in my personal car/truck/race car to replace the dex.

John

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
I hope at least the dealer used distilled water in your DexCool coolant to prevent sludging and rust buildup in the coolant passages. IMHO, I would drain that DexCool sh!t out and replace it with the tried and true green stuff or the new hotness, G-05 yellow coolant.

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope at least the dealer used distilled water in your DexCool coolant to prevent sludging and rust buildup in the coolant passages. IMHO, I would drain that DexCool sh!t out and replace it with the tried and true green stuff or the new hotness, G-05 yellow coolant.

Unless they purchased the coolant mixed 50/50 that not going to happen...:smilielol:

Way to many problems with the dex in the old style trucks. The newer ones with the surge tank and no cap on the rad are much improved but I still see issues just not as bad.

John

brielly

Reaction score
I just pulled some out of the radiator and put in in a clear glass. It did have a very light orange appearance so I'm guessing that its in fact dexcool. It smelled like coolant as well so i think I'm ok. I was under the impression that dex was more red but i really have no experience with it other than looking at it on the overflow resevoirs of some used tahoes I had recently looked at.

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dex mixed in a cooling system is not a light color. Think orange crayon. I've never mixed a batch up that came out that light.
Mixed it should have the same darker color that you have seen on other Hoe it might just more orange but should be fairly dark.

John

brielly

Reaction score
I guess it could be the G-05 yellow coolant or they just dilited the dexool way too much but I have no way of knowing for sure what they used. I'm going to try to call again tomorrow and see if i can't get an answer as to what type of coolant they actually used.

08 Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy yourself a tester and be certain it is enough anti-freeze, in the system. One of those testers that has the floating balls, will tell you how cold your system can take the temperature. If you got a friend at a local garage, maybe you could get it tested and not have to buy the tester. I wouldn't trust that there is enough anti-freeze, if you live where it gets cold.

rockman20

Reaction score
Absolutely, buy a tester. I have one that has a dial that goes up and points to a reading on the gauge. On the farm we have one with the floating balls as well. The price of the tester is nothing compared to the price of busting a block or head when the temps drop. My antifreeze is good to 40 below. It has been tested a few times already this year with temps close to 30 below.

Play it safe and get a tester.

cwyatt27

Reaction score
hey guy's, so i need to add engine coolant and right now my tahoe has Redish orange dexcool engine coolant in it. Can i just add some Peak Ready Use in it. its blue

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
As long as the Peak is a OAT coolant you can. If the Peak is a HOAT type coolant, you can't

cwyatt27

Reaction score
it is the "Peak Ready Use 50/50 Pre-diluted antifreeze and coolant"