Differential capacities???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how much gear oil the front and rear differentials will take if fully drained on an '02 GMC Yukon XL Denali? Neither my owners manual or the Haynes manual will say, just that it will take 75W90 synthetic gear oil. I want to change both out today just want to buy the right amount the first time.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need 5 quarts, my front took 2 and the rear took just over 2.5qt. I bought 6 just to have extra, royal purple will smooth out the engagement of your limited slip too.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much, that was indeed the answer I was needing!! So no additives needed to be added to the fluid (special GM crap???)?

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And do you know where online I can get a deal on that stuff, I think I can get it for 12/quart where I live? Also looking for a deal on synthetic for my tranny.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No additives necessary but use some form of synthetic for a mileage boost over a conventional.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think checker sells RP cheap, not sure I've never had an issue since we carry it at my work.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice that some synthetic gear oil products have a limited slip additive in them already (redline sells some with and without), I need to be sure to get the stuff without that additive, right? Would gear oil with that additive in it built in it cause problems for a denali front and rear def.?