Took my Yukon to dealership for a simple tranny fluid drain and fill, now undriveable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJT123

Reaction score
Hello fellow owners,

I have a 2003 Yukon (w/ 5.3) as my "beater", although it is my daily driver. It is beat up but mechanically in good condition. It has 122,000 miles on it. I went to the dealer, not some sketchy transmission shop, as I noticed the fluid is starting to look burned and it calls for it at 100k anyway, plus it's just a good idea to have your fluids swapped out.

I go to get the car back and it's stuck in third gear and the CEL comes on. Almost undriveable. Drove fine this morning, and for the past 15 years. Tranny shifts a little harder, but still fine.

Now, I either see one of two things happening here:

1. It's something silly and minor, some switch didn't get connected, easy fix

or....

2. They're going to tell me I'm SOL, blame it on something else and say I need a new transmission.

Why I am stressing here is because I really don't want to hassle with this dealership, and all that would entail, if they try to pull BS. I don't want to have to get into shouting matches with the service managers, etc. But bottom line is I paid $200 to get back an undriveable truck.

My truck drove fine this morning. When I got it back it was stuck in gear 3 and CEL on.

This is the premiere GMC dealer in Knoxville, and I always take my cars to dealers for transmission things bc dealers will stand behind their work.

What do some of you think? I'm thinking of going ahead and emailing the service manager.

Of course she said the transmission tech can't get to it until next week (who the hell did the work, then?). Didn't even offer a loaner.

Just my luck, why can't we have nice things?

Any educated guesses or just advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

I just wanted to do a simple drain and fill. I'm no mechanic but I do know cars, the best way to maintain a transmission with high miles is to drain and fill, every time. Forget flushing.

Bottom line is they F'd up bad. :(

marcus4450

Reaction score
Generally the service 4 wd soon or service trans soon would come on before service engine soon. Sounds independent from trans issue.....maybe two issues. Try using a code reader.....autozone will do this for free for you. FYI.....same thing happened to me. Took the SUV in and had 1700 dollars of preventative service and got it back with it stuck in low gear and service light on. Ended up being a busted harness to the transfer case......while fixing it they blew my transfer case module. The other issue was an issue with harness for the knock sensors. I usually went to this shop because the guy use to be a service mgr for gm and came highly recommended. After a week of no luck they ended up taking it over the Chevy dealer and they fixed it in 30 minutes. I will now only go to dealerships even if more money. Last two jobs at the private shop screwed my truck up....dealership fixed everything.