differential oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAHOEdriver0468

Reaction score
Hello and how are you all. Bought an 04 Tahoe, has 125k miles on it. Doesn't shake ,make noise or drive bad. Supposed to be a 5.3 liter engine.
Last weekend changed the engine oil, put Mobil 1 high mileage oil in it, 5w30. Gauge is showing about 43 psi driving down the road. Planning on doing the differentials this weekend. So here is my question, been doing a bunch of reading and it sounds like the Mobil 1 75w90 GL5 synthetic gear oil will work for both front and rear difs, what have you all been using? the Mobil oil supposed to have the additives for the limited slip rear.
Also, according to the computer my oil filter (M1) was supposed to be an M1-107 Took the old filter off and it was a PF48 , so the new filter didn't fit. Have to go back and get the correct filter. Believe that will be an M1-113. Is there any reason why I have a different filter than what was in the computer? Could this be a 6.0 liter engine?
Thanks for your input, TAHOEdriver0468

Dsmspickdad

Reaction score
They use the same oil filter from 2003-2007. I would use
this oil filter: wix 51522 XP this filter 5.1 inches on length verse 3.4. I have been using this oil filter with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sonic007ca

Reaction score
Hello and how are you all. Bought an 04 Tahoe, has 125k miles on it. Doesn't shake ,make noise or drive bad. Supposed to be a 5.3 liter engine.
Last weekend changed the engine oil, put Mobil 1 high mileage oil in it, 5w30. Gauge is showing about 43 psi driving down the road. Planning on doing the differentials this weekend. So here is my question, been doing a bunch of reading and it sounds like the Mobil 1 75w90 GL5 synthetic gear oil will work for both front and rear difs, what have you all been using? the Mobil oil supposed to have the additives for the limited slip rear.
Also, according to the computer my oil filter (M1) was supposed to be an M1-107 Took the old filter off and it was a PF48 , so the new filter didn't fit. Have to go back and get the correct filter. Believe that will be an M1-113. Is there any reason why I have a different filter than what was in the computer? Could this be a 6.0 liter engine?
Thanks for your input, TAHOEdriver0468
Sounds right to me. I have an 04 Yukon Denali XL. Yes I will be using that oil for the differentials when I change them.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk