Ditched the 20's, got some z71 rims!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen those wheels before ... F@ck all these haters those 18's are bad ass. 20=okay ride, 18 = more sidewall better ride.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the agressive look of the wheels... same as the silverado wheels. If I were to swap out my 20" wheels with another OEM set, I'd go with the same wheel as srmitchell, but the 20" version instead.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOVE IT, infact i wanna do the same thing to mine, The 20's on my yukon look nice, but not real good in anything but dry roads, and we get plenty of rain and that means mud in some area, for a 2wd, this yukon does preety well in wet dirt and mud puddles, just down shift. LOL, but im sure some z71 tires would do me GREAT!!!

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer every one.

We originally wanted to buy a z71, but it was not available late 2007.

We come from a family of Jeeps. This a tow rig, not an urban assault vehicle.

We occasionally drive fire roads, moderate trails, and similar to get ourselves and gear to fishing spots, and other recreational areas.

20's and bigger are a dime a dozen on Tahoes, and other gmt 9000's. We wanted to deviate from the norm.

We hate chrome, and feel any suv should have even a small amount of off road ability.

Areas such as yosemite and tahoe are now starting to turn even 4x4's around if they don't have chains.

And I always say, Chrome doesn't get you home!

Thanks for the comments. And yes, it is a 4x4 with the factory rear locker.

Edit* Value is no object, it is payed off, and we will only sell it if we can't afford to fuel it. We love this thing!

Amen. I actually like the change a lot! ( I have 20's but then, mine IS a pavement princess. I have 15s with 33 inch tires on the wheeler, my Yukon is just for towing the boat and trailers in Las Vegas.)

sgmstr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can wrap cables (not chains) around the 20s

Check this website: http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction Pages/Trac_app_guide.asp

They have CABLES for Tahoe 275/55/20 tires. You just cannot install CHAINS on them which does not meet Class "S" Clearance. In fact, it is true for all passenger cars/trucks becuase of their clearance between tires and suspension, brake, etc... Cables perform much better than chains instead.

Also, you cannot install chains on Tahoes with 18 inch rims. See manual.

srmitchell

Reaction score
Ok, either way, we love the 18's.

They turned out to be a bit taller too.

They look awesome.

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, either way, we love the 18's.

They turned out to be a bit taller too.

They look awesome.

Ok.. I hate to tell you this but according to TireRack.com spec information the factory 20" Tires are taller. :D

See below

20" Rims 275/55SR20 Tires 32.0" overall Diameter (factory Bridgestone Tire specs)
18" Rims 265/65SR18 Tires 31.5" overall Diameter (factory Bridgestone Tire specs)

I would keep that in mind on your speedo, It will be off just a bit now.

Last edited:

houtex

Reaction score
Nice clean truck Srm. Looks good and as long as you are happy :)

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have an 07 Bermuda Ltz, and we got bored with the rims, and found that you can't use tire chains. (How useless is that?)

We traded for a brand new set of take off rims and tire (less that 50 miles.)

We love em. No chrome, no street tread, all business.

We didn't pay a dime either.

Before
tahoe009.jpg

After
newrims001.jpg

newrims002.jpg

newrims004.jpg

newrims005.jpg

newrims006.jpg

newrims007.jpg

I hate to bust your bubble jr but the overall diameter of the Z71 18's and the lower profile 20's is very close to the same so you still can't use tire chains. When you bought your Tahoe they should have made you sign a release acknowledging that putting chains on could cause damage to the body and fender wells.