DIY oil changers - great deal ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jscgolf

Reaction score
being a T'hoe newby (that has always changed his own oil) I decided to go with Mobil 1 full synthetic oil. I have always used dino oil, changed every 3K, but not with the T'hoe.

So into Advanced Auto I go and found they have a deal going (I think thru 12/31) ... 5 quarts any Mobil 1 oil AND any Mobil 1 filter for $29.88. Based on what I have seen elsewhere this was 33% off !!! I went with the High Performance Full Synthetic & filter. This takes the cost of an oil change to ~$35 ... which beats $60 any day, plus you are guaranteed what oil & filter is going into the T'hoe !!!

Just thought I'd pass this along. Works for anyone that has someone else change the oil & filter but still supplies the oil & filter.

If there are better deals out there ... LETS POST THEM !!!

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
being a T'hoe newby (that has always changed his own oil) I decided to go with Mobil 1 full synthetic oil. I have always used dino oil, changed every 3K, but not with the T'hoe.

So into Advanced Auto I go and found they have a deal going (I think thru 12/31) ... 5 quarts any Mobil 1 oil AND any Mobil 1 filter for $29.88. Based on what I have seen elsewhere this was 33% off !!! I went with the High Performance Full Synthetic & filter. This takes the cost of an oil change to ~$35 ... which beats $60 any day, plus you are guaranteed what oil & filter is going into the T'hoe !!!

Just thought I'd pass this along. Works for anyone that has someone else change the oil & filter but still supplies the oil & filter.

If there are better deals out there ... LETS POST THEM !!!

That's not a bad deal. I normally pay about $40-60 (to have them change it)for synthetic (mobil 1) at the local Wal-mart "lube Express". I know what you are going to say, "Wal-Mart, you can't trust their Tech's". But The ones here are very thorough. the first time I watched them like a hawk they actually did everything that they claimed. This last time I took my other car (2003 Xterra also black and lifted) to get the oil changed and they told me I needed a new battery (something I already knew because I had checked it the day before and the cells were dry so I filled them up) so I thought that was pretty cool since all the other shops I had been to only claim they do stuff and they don't.

I know I did not mention any bargins but it's than paying $90 at Pep Boys for royal purple and a tire rotation!

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like a really good deal to me....I'm going to get some.

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I did not mention any bargins but it's than paying $90 at Pep Boys for royal purple and a tire rotation!

A little off topic, but is there something wrong with Royal Purple? I thought it was a pretty good oil.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Royal Purple (great oil, I manage a fleet and that all I use in them) but I thought that was too much $ for an "oil change".

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ok. I was asking because I just bought a case of Royal Purple to try out and if there's something wrong with it, I'd probably return it.

$90 bucks is steep. I don't know the cost price for Pep Boys on royal purple, but my local Kragen had it for $6.99 a quart. Considering these trucks take 6 quarts, thats $42 in just oil.

I only bought it cause I was stocking up on a bunch of other things and had one of those rare 25% off entire purchase coupons Kragen puts out every once in a blue moon. :thumbsup:

08 Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That price at "Advance" is really good-$29.88, for 5 quarts and a Mobile 1 filter. I use this in other vehicles, so I will see if this price is available here and I will stock-up before the holidays. Thanks!

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went and bought Mobil 1 yesterday and it was available at Advance Auto. I think it is killer deal compared to what you would normally pay for Mobil 1 and a filter.