Do you torque your wheel lugs or just tighten real tight?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On an '07 Tahoe, is there a torque value for the wheel lugs or do you just tighten really tight??

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got aftermarket wheels and the dude torqued them at about 140lbs. Hell they tighted them so hard they stripped a stud which I'm going tomorrow to get fixed.:zav:

rockrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have a torque wrench just use the lug wrench that came with the truck and tighten the crap out of them. I am sure you can put 140 ft lbs on it if you are not a girley mon yaa!

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have a torque wrench just use the lug wrench that came with the truck and tighten the crap out of them. I am sure you can put 140 ft lbs on it if you are not a girley mon yaa!

Exactly, use those arms :thumbsup:

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
came back from the shop, there was nothing wrong with my wheel studs. the frist guy must not had his wheaties that morning.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good news.....

came back from the shop, there was nothing wrong with my wheel studs. the frist guy must not had his wheaties that morning.

I don't have a torque wrench that goes up to 140ft-lbs so I guess I am just going to tighten really tight..hehehe...I assume the 140ft-lbs applies to both stock and aftermarket wheels since the torque is based on the lug diameter of 5/8" (I believe)....

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an air compressor with a bunch of attachments so i just put the GM SUV attachment on and it works great. learn alot in auto tech. its amazing how simple auto repair has gotton, although i just rotate my own tires, insted of paying the dealer 300 for the 30k check up where they change the oil rotate the tires and check the fluid levels, i can do that for free in my own garage. :adr: :D

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
140lbs of torque for wheels is retarded high. 90-100 lbs is fine for most anything on the road that we drive.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And how does this...

i have an air compressor with a bunch of attachments so i just put the GM SUV attachment on and it works great. learn alot in auto tech. its amazing how simple auto repair has gotton, although i just rotate my own tires, insted of paying the dealer 300 for the 30k check up where they change the oil rotate the tires and check the fluid levels, i can do that for free in my own garage. :adr: :D

Apply to torqueing wheel lugs?

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree....

140lbs of torque for wheels is retarded high. 90-100 lbs is fine for most anything on the road that we drive.

But manual says 140 ft-lbs and I even looked it up online and for ANY wheel with 5/8" lugs, it is recommended between 135 - 145 ft-lbs of torque....I am sure anything over about 100 ft-lbs is sufficient...

OSU_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that it's not just how tight but that the torque is applied evenly across the lugs & in a star pattern. If you just torque the crap out of them unevenly and without using either a torque wrench or an impact gun with a torque stick you risk potentially warping the brake rotor and causing a nasty pulsation under applied braking. Those ratings in the manual aren't determined at random, they're intended to cover all potential driving conditions for the vehicle and factor in the weight of the wheel/tire combo. 140 may sound high but I wouldn't reduce it to 90-100 blindly. Given what the 20" combo must weigh I'd take engineers who came up with 140 at their word.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that it's not just how tight but that the torque is applied evenly across the lugs & in a star pattern. If you just torque the crap out of them unevenly and without using either a torque wrench or an impact gun with a torque stick you risk potentially warping the brake rotor and causing a nasty pulsation under applied braking. Those ratings in the manual aren't determined at random, they're intended to cover all potential driving conditions for the vehicle and factor in the weight of the wheel/tire combo. 140 may sound high but I wouldn't reduce it to 90-100 blindly. Given what the 20" combo must weigh I'd take engineers who came up with 140 at their word.

rule of thumb is anything that moves you need to tighten in a star patern or it could possabbly fall off, i forgot to mention that.

p.s. the attachments are color coded that go on the impact gun. works really well and 90 ft lb's feel just like 140 so it makes no difference.