Driving In The Snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AAHTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone with an 07 / 08 Tahoe live in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana or Illinois? If so how's your Tahoe doing in the bad weather and driving conditions. I moved to Tempe, AZ from Columbus, Ohio and wonder how my Tahoe would do in the weather they are getting lately. TIA!

300diesel

Reaction score
Tahoe in the Snow

I live outside of Boston and my 08 Suburban has been much better than I expected, even with the conservative stock 17" tires. I traded an AWD Jeep Hemi Commander for it because I needed more room. The Commander was, without question, the best winter car I have owned (and I have owned a bunch of 4WD and AWD cars). The Suburban's snow capability is, however, much closer to the Jeep's than I had even hoped for. Pretty much rock solid in up to 6" of snow and slush so far.:thumbsup:

StL07Tahoe

Reaction score
I live in Missouri with a 07 Tahoe. We got about 8 inches of snow two weeks ago. I thought the handling was pretty good, with the 20" wheels offering more grip/traction.

Splitting 8s

Reaction score
I live in Illinois with an 07 Tahoe LTZ. This is the best vehicle in the snow i have ever driven. I had a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport and thought that was good. The Tahoe is much better.

Rich2007Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live just outside of Chicago and with all the snow this year and the 07 Z71, I have had very little problems. I feel really confident driving with it.

frankthetank

Reaction score
I live in Boulder, CO we have had some storms this year, the Yukon has been good in the snow, but throw some Bridgestone Revos on there and it will be unstoppable. Previously I had a 2wd 4runner with those on there, man I could go anywhere. We had 2 feet in on night I was about the only one out. Overall the Yukon has been good, the traction control is nice, but sometimes I like to just fishing tail it around the corners.

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have 2WD or 4? I have a 99 Expedition 4x4, and am thinking about getting a Tahoe soon. Thought about getting 2WD because we don't get that much snow, and Chicago cleans it up pretty quick. I can't put my expy in 2WD, it's AWD, any input would be great. Thanks

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Z71 4x4 package w/ Eaton locker and 4.10 diff. It has been snowing quite a bit and I rarely put it in auto or 4-hi mode (except when the baby is in the truck). No problems on slick roads or deep powder (~1 foot).

Also went sledding up in the mountains. The incline was pretty steep, the road had a sheet of ice beneath ~4 inches of snow, and the truck had no problems. The cost to upgrade to 4x4 is not that bad and I think it pays off to have that extra security. By the way, I go off-road about twice a month so the 4x4 is pretty useful.

Good luck!

terd fergeson

Reaction score
i got a 2wd ls....ive pushed it in the snow pretty well. the stabilitrack catches the rear end if it ever fish tails. but still....4wd is the way to go in chicago. but i guess snow tires on a 2wd would work even better. when other cars were drivin under 30mph in snow i was cruisin at 45-50mph jus fine.

i got stuck at a stoplight behind a camaro and we were both slippin on ice/slush tryin to get out.