Drop Hitch Heigth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdouthit

Reaction score
What is everyone running for the drop hitch? I just measured between our new 2015 Tahoe 4wd and our four wheeler trailer. It is a difference of 12". That just seems crazy! I'm wondering how bad it would tow with just an 8" drop. Anything more than that and I'll loose a lot of strength in my tow rating.

73Vetteman

Reaction score
I have an issue with the hitch drop also. Too high of a mount will make the trailer wag like a dog's tail. Many say using the 8" drop works for most trailers. I haul different trailers with different height couplers. My aluminum personal watercraft trailer is really low and needs 2" more drop. My ski boat trailer and car hauler were fine with an 8" drop.
I just lowered the rear of the vehicle 2" using the 34324 Belletech leveling kit. A 6" drop now works for those trailers and I can use my 8" drop for the small one.
I haven't pulled my 6,000 pound 26' travel trailer since the lowering kit but I think it should be fine since I have air leveling and those springs are progressive so get stiffer as they compress. That trailer has a weight distribution hitch anyway.

jdouthit

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have no desire to lower my vehicle. It sits too low as it is now. The hitch being that high is craziness. It is 2" higher than the hitch on my f150 with 35" tires.

73Vetteman

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have no desire to lower my vehicle. It sits too low as it is now. The hitch being that high is craziness. It is 2" higher than the hitch on my f150 with 35" tires.

Well, what the heck - raise the front end 2" then to match the back end and it will put your trailer hitch a little closer to the ground!!!!

jdouthit

Reaction score
Raising the front end will not lower the rear of the vehicle.

73Vetteman

Reaction score
Anything behind the rear axle will go down if you raise the front. Teeter Totter effect.
Just don't expect much drop since the hitch ball is relatively close to the axle.

setme31

Reaction score
I got an 8" drop for my boat trailer. There is another user on this thread that got a 12" drop. That seems like a crazy drop. My 8" drop tows great and level to boot. Make sure you are measuring correctly (top of truck receiver to bottom of trailer coupler)

http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=530167

sgorman1033

Reaction score
To level out my two small trailers, I had to get a 12" drop. I thought it was crazy myself but the proof is in the pudding. That hitch is a beast compared to anything else I had in the past but it was definitely needed.