Electrical question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This past weekend I had my warning lights for FD installed by people that have been doing my trucks for many years. I have 6 LED's behind grille , a headlamp wig wag system, two addl dash LED bars, and an electronic air horn that works with steering wheel horn pad.
Anyway the installer tapped into the ignition circuit so that all the components would go off with the key...not good.
Turns out that the change in voltage when the BCM reads the key, the truck is running and lights are turned on, caused the rig to go into the theft deterrent mode, where it starts and shuts right down a few seconds later.
Needless to say I had to have the truck flatbedded into dealer this morning. I pulled the service manager aside told him the truth about what was done. He was really cool about the whole thing and told me if no parts are needed........no worries. Turns out he had to replace a .30 fuse , connect the Tech II to the truck to read the BCM, reprogram everything, and I was on my way. No charge at all.
Question here is where can the power line for these components be tapped in where they will go off with key without causing another issue.
I was thinking about making a wire harness completely independent of the factory harness with a power block for a 12v source, but I would have to make sure I shut everything down when I get out of truck as they wont go off with key. Not liking that idea very much.
Anyone know what to do?

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
There is an ignition wire on the brake harness that is 12vdc with ign on and shuts off with ign off. It's a pink wire. You can use this to trigger a relay to run ign controlled acc. But make sure you use a relay that draws main power from the battery.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an ignition wire on the brake harness that is 12vdc with ign on and shuts off with ign off. It's a pink wire. You can use this to trigger a relay to run ign controlled acc. But make sure you use a relay that draws main power from the battery.

Thankyou Sir......!!!
This is why you get the big bux....!!