Engine wont Turnover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the99hoe

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
The last time i posted it was about a stinking coolant leak. 99 hoe with the 5.7 and around 142K on the clock. i am the second owner and the original had fairly good documentation. I am back now because i found the leak; it was the dreaded intake gasket. So i have replaced the gaskets and i have the truck put back together now. The problem is the truck wont crank, everything powers up and i can hear the fuel pump cycle for about 3-4 seconds but when i push on over to the start position of the ignition switch nothing happens, no noise, crank wont turn nothing will happen. So what did i miss, i have checked all the harness connections and i was pretty thorough on disassembly to mark everthing. I have cleaned the battery connections and they look good and the battery is showing 12.1 volts on my voltmeter. Has anyone here had this problem, im needing some direction here any input is much appreciated.

the99hoe

Reaction score
Just a little more info i forgot earlier, the truck ran fine before this it was just leaking coolant.

the99hoe

Reaction score
nope, i didnt touch it, only wiring that i messed with was on the top of the motor. But i will check it just in case, thanks

the99hoe

Reaction score
Yup everything i disconnected i have reconnected, cleaned the battery terminals and rechecked everything. This has me really puzzled, i dont understand why it wont crank. I half way didnt expect it to run right or fire up because of the distributor being removed, but i marked it and got it back in the close to where it was when removed. I know i will have to have it timed and everything with the scan tool but i figured it would crank. Well for now im at a loss and i am probably going to check the starter silonoid next. Thanks for the ideas i appreciate it, i was hoping that someone may have ran into this, and i am now beginning to think i should have paid the money and let a pro do it, LOL. Guess this is what i get for trying to save money.

79powerwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try neutral... might be your NSS out of alignment or whack. Probably a battery cable issue, but the NSS can be to blame too...

tahoe express

Reaction score
I would start by running a jumper cable on the ground side of the battery directly to the block bypassing the ground cable and seeing if it cranks.This is the easiest before tearing into it.The only other thing to do is back track by simply removing the distributor and leave it plugged in.See if it cranks.Hope this helps a little.

the99hoe

Reaction score
Well guys after days of no success and a shattered ego, I am shamefully having the Hoe towed to the mechanics tomorrow. I dont know what I did but this will probably change his slogan to WE FIX WHAT YOU F&^% Up. I appreciate the help guys and I will let you know what the culprit to this conundrum is, for now I sit in wonder, guess this means I'm not quitting my day job LOL. Thanks again for the help!!

Beef

Reaction score
Keep us posted, my 99 'hoe did the same thing but I dropped a new battery in and all was well. I would tried a diff battery if you didnt......

the99hoe

Reaction score
Okay, so I took the Hoe in and all is well now ended up that the crank position sensor was not completely snapped on and there were two missing grounds. The grounds were pulled up into the plastic wire covering and I didn't see them as for the crank sensor it appeared to be snapped on but wasnt far enough on to make a good connection. So thanks for the input I guess next time I will tug on all the connections and make sure. I appreciate the feedback and feel free to point and laugh now :lol: