Ethanol - Anyone using it yet, results?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uegdesigner

Reaction score
I just purchased my 2008 Chevy Tahoe and one of the reasons I purchased was the Flex Fuel option. I am in Northern San Diego County and we just had a new ethanol pump installed at the gas station right around the corner from our home. I am interested in hearing if anyone else is using it. I know its less efficient than regular gasoline but I am curious to see if its a better deal overall since currently here in San Diego regular unleaded (87) is $3.97 and ethanol is $3.27. Once I get a good base on fuel efficiency on my Tahoe I will be switching to ethanol and posting the differences. Anyone?

Last edited:

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you sure laptop b/c the reports i see show a decrease in MPG, overall hp & tq with ethanol. but yes it does burn cleaner (hotter).

Chevyforever

Reaction score
I finally filled up the other day with my first tank of it. We finally got a gas station in the area to sell it. I dont feel any difference in driving, power or in the 4/8 system. The best is its a $1.00 cheaper per gallon. I paid $3.39 a gallon compared to regular which is $4.39.

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of people here that have used it have the following to report:

~20% cheaper
~30% worse gas mileage
Loss in power, especially while towing.

To me, the gas mileage decreasing with the price is enough to offset not using it. Not to mention the power loss.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't used it yet but I could see myself passing on the opportunity. Just don't see any benefit in the set of trade offs.

Poe1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't used it because I'm shaky with all these mixed reviews I've seen on it. Gas is going to continue to go down anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

metro273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been told by other 4x4 truck drivers that you get less miles per gallon with ethanol. This is why I didn't use it on a recent TN trip in my rented '08 Suburban!

batter

Reaction score
Ethanol MPG

I used it in my '05 hoe and got 13% decrease in MPG. I just got a '08 hoe about 3 weeks ago and haven't tried yet.

Thundergod

Reaction score
I've used it on a couple road trips to/from Colorado. It was a good $1/gal cheaper than reg unleaded there. It made up for the decreased MPG, plus money going to our farmers instead. I seemed to get about 20% less MPG.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been told by other 4x4 truck drivers that you get less miles per gallon with ethanol. This is why I didn't use it on a recent TN trip in my rented '08 Suburban!

Of course, you did fill it up with E85 right before you turned it back in though, right?

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use it just to protest foreign oil use, but wait now I will piss of the tree huggers as I am driving up food prices.:eek: Dam how do you win?:skep:

By doing what you gotta do, as long as you're at least trying to be conscientious of your impact on this rock's future you're probably in the top 1% already.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
By doing what you gotta do, as long as you're at least trying to be conscientious of your impact on this rock's future you're probably in the top 1% already.

I was listening to a news story that an upstart company is developing a cellulose based ethanol that doesn't require tapping food supply, and I totally applaud this effort.

Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used it for the month of May. I tow a trailer for my business and with E85 I was getting about 290 miles to the full tank, as opposed to ~360 with 87 Octane. Granted, the month I decided to use nothing but E85 turned out to be a hectic month for me workwise at quite a bit of distance from my home office, I ended up putting 3,480 miles on my Yukon which cost me $1,060.49 @ an average of $3.399 a gallon that month. I have not had an identical month by comparison. I used 87 Octane for my second busiest driving month which was 2,542 miles in June, and for that month I spent $721.32. Just for entertainment, I took my amount of miles driven in May and guesstimated what it WOULD have cost me to run 87 Octane for that period. Hope these help a little, I am a firm NON-believer of E85, sure the money goes to our farmers, but I am paying even more for a product that doesn't even face taxation for importation. I think that if it is a homegrown product the difference and impact should be higher than what I have experienced. By the way, since I haven't used FlexFuel since May, I have seen less and less people using that pump at the local gas station, it's price has reached $3.939 a gallon while regular gas was $3.799 a gallon.

E85 May
3,480 miles/month

~26 gal/tank
~290 miles/tank
$3.399 avg/gal
$1,060.49 a month

87 Octane(May est.)
3,480 miles/month

~26 gal/tank
~360 miles/tank
$3.929 avg/gal
$987.49 a month

87 Octane June
2,542 miles/month

~26 gal/tank
~360 miles/tank
$3.929 avg/gal
$721.32 a month

Legal Disclaimer: I may be off by a few dollars, each fillup ranged from 24-25 gallons roughly, I never really did put in 26 gallons, though GM claims that is my tank capacity. Prices per gallons were averaged for the different amounts I payed throughout the month. Miles per tank were also averaged as there were different amounts from each fillup to the next. So please no one breathing down my neck if these figures do not match yours, thanks.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried E85 about a month ago...

Regular Gas: ~17 mpg city @ $4.09/gallon = $0.24/mile.

E85: 12.3 mpg city @ $3.49/gallon = $0.28/mile.

For me it was not worth it. If the price of 87 stayed the same, E85 would have to be $2.96/gallon (~28% cheaper) to break even.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is only one place close (15miles) that offer E85, the dude is selling for 3.71 a gallon which was okay when gas was 4.25 but gas here is now 3.68 and he is still selling for 3.71 so I stop buying it. There was a small drop in MPG but not enough for me to stop buying it and stop supporting our local farmers.

Rebound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is only one place close (15miles) that offer E85, the dude is selling for 3.71 a gallon which was okay when gas was 4.25 but gas here is now 3.68 and he is still selling for 3.71 so I stop buying it. There was a small drop in MPG but not enough for me to stop buying it and stop supporting our local farmers.

It's the government (taxes) that is supporting the "ethanol" farmers.

Corn ethanol subsidies totaled $7.0 billion in 2006 for 4.9 billion gallons of ethanol. That's $1.45 per gallon of ethanol.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ethanol and global warming are two of the biggest scams ever foisted upon the American public.