Ethanol - Anyone using it yet, results?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thundergod

Reaction score
I paid $2.99/gal for ethanol in CO when I was up there 3 weeks ago. 85 Octane was $3.99/gal. That's a 25% lower price per gal, which made it a slight savings per mile driven on E85 compared to reg gas, for me.
BTW, reg gas is 85 octane in your high elevation states.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ethanol isn't a bad idea, trying to make it out of corn might be though... We should import it from Brazil IMO.

Swifteeee

Reaction score
I am on my second tank since purchasing the vehicle. 1st on 87 @ 17 mpg, 2nd on E85 @ 14 mpg. Ratio is about the same on fuel prices. I didn't have any lose in performance IMO.
I really wish people would think for themselves and not listen to the biased media. They don't give all the facts. Its kinda ironic that here we are discussing fuel cost and no one will atribute the rising cost of everything to that. Has anyone tried to have anything shipped lately. The lowest surcharge, I've seen, on fuel has been 37% that is tacked onto your regular shipping. Some trucker claim they are making more money now than ever before since they can now pass the rising fuel costs on to the consumer.
When you put down the ethanol subsidy stats, you might take a look at the subsidies paid out to petroleum companies as well.
I have a biased opinion some would say since I am a farmer. Since the price of commodities have basically doubled in the last year and a half. My production costs ie: fertilizer, chemical, machinery to name a few have also gone up double. When the price of commodities go back down, what are the odds that the price of food and input cost for the farmers will go down. Not very likely.
We have very cheap food in this country. Americans work until sometime in May to pay their taxes. Americans work until sometime in early February to pay for their food for the year.
A simple thank you would be appreciated. Instead of all the complaining.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I grew up farming and thought it was ironic that the gov't actually paid my Dad not to plant crops. If the gov't stayed out of it with subsidies for corn based and tariffs on imported ethanol, then that would be fine. But corn based ethanol is too energy intensive to work cuz in the long run it's a wash at best.

Swifteeee

Reaction score
I'm wondering were all you guys were when they were started building all these ethanol plants.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"We should import it from Brazil IMO". I don't think we should import any fuel, but be totally self sufficient.

Oh I agree, but in the short term it would be nice to import from people who don't hate our guts quite so much. I'm all for a bunch of reactors and just have everybody drive an electric car around ;)

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A simple thank you would be appreciated. Instead of all the complaining.

Send me a side of beef and you're wish will be granted. I wouldn't normally take that tone but the next post prompted it:

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering were all you guys were when they were started building all these ethanol plants.

We probably didn't know much if anything about it; rumors of some breakthrough or what have you, and we all know that more information is usually obtained after the fact. I'm not one to waylay blame for my own actions (or lack thereof), but we all know that our Legislators just do whatever the hell they want under the pretense that they're executing our wishes simply because they got our vote. This is only one of many examples.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 25% of what it takes to refine ethanol.

Yeah, and I'm wondering if that is including or in addition to the fact that there's so much more potential energy in petroleum that there is in corn...

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With that said, I've always had a deep appreciation for the work of farmers, they keep me from having to farm my own food so I and everybody else can fill the other cogs on the wheel.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for farmers getting $8/bu for corn. I'm not for doing it on my dime. Heck if the price of corn had followed inflation over the last 30-40 yr, it'd probably be a lot higher than that.

BTW some of those ethanol coops are starting to go under.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just filled up with it a few days ago.....first time. Only 1 station on all of Long Island has it. So far so good. No difference in idle,acceleration or mileage. 2.99 per gallon vs. 3.99 for gas.
If you google Ethanol you will find the emissions on this fuel is not all it's cracked up to be. But I'm still gonna continue using it, 1.00 per gallon is better in my pocket. Once the tank is completely used I'm sure I'll have a better handle on all the numbers.

StL07Tahoe

Reaction score
I just filled up with it a few days ago.....first time. Only 1 station on all of Long Island has it. So far so good. No difference in idle,acceleration or mileage. 2.99 per gallon vs. 3.99 for gas.
If you google Ethanol you will find the emissions on this fuel is not all it's cracked up to be. But I'm still gonna continue using it, 1.00 per gallon is better in my pocket. Once the tank is completely used I'm sure I'll have a better handle on all the numbers.

I would be using it as well if it were $1.00 cheaper per gallon in my area, but it is currently only about $.10 cheaper ($3.39 vs. $.3.29). I have used it in the past and have no qualms about the performance aspect, just the mileage differential.

Yukon Joe XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ethanol

As johnebgoode said. There is only one on L.I. and I have used the same place...Massapequa. It has been about a dollar less and even at that price the difference in MPG makes it about even in $. Flex fuel is one of the reasons I bought the Yukon and if we have a gas crunch like in the distant past hopefully Ethanol will be somewhat immune. EPA 14-19mpg? I am getting 11 on gas and 9.5 on Ethanol. NOt good at all and have been easy on it due to it being so new. I expected more mpg than that at a little closer to the EPA estimate. I could have gotten that MPG in a Denali with the 6.0 and more chrome :umn: That said I am happy with my purchase just a little disappointed at the mpg. And it is a Rad vehicle :cool2:

Yukon Joe XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
johnebgoode,
Just for your info. I saw L.I now has a second place in Lindenhurst on Rt. 109. I'm going to check it out today.