exhaust questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dcarver99LT

Reaction score
Looking at getting an exhaust put on. Basically looking for economy more than anything but I would really like to NOT sacrifice any low end torque.
Now my questions are:
X pipe or H pipe?
Leave it stock with a different muffler?
Do I want more or less backpressure?
I'm trying to research back pressure and scavenging pertaining to the 5.7 vortec but I'm mostly getting info for ricers and mustangs.

Side note: I do plan on getting a better air filter to get more air flow in so I need the exhaust to get air out. Big air pump right? lol

Also I know a tune will probably be the best option. BB tune comes to TX in the spring so I'll get a dyno tune after these mods

Thanks for the help

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You will only use an X-pipe if you plan on doing a true dual exhaust. That will be quite a but more costly than just doing a simple catback system.

Generally speaking, the X pipe will promote better flow at higher RPMs and thus can increase top end power better than the H-pipe in most cases. I don't think the X-pipe would be necessary or appropriate for an otherwise stock engine. You would mostly see the gains at high RPMs so for driving around down it won't do much for you.

The H pipe is best for low-end power and more grunt in a usable RPM range. You would still see a power increase across the board with either option, but if this is a daily driver I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.

The best option would be starting with long tube headers with a factory connect catted Y. Then from there you could just add a single or single in/dual out cat-back system to allow better flow.

Add an air intake and a tune, and I think you'll be MORE than happy without over complicating things. Let us know if you would like price quotes or assistance. :cheers:

Last edited:

Dcarver99LT

Reaction score
Well I've considered the long tube headers, just worried about clearance issues. I've got a 2wd so am I good to do long tubes or would mid length be better? I know LTs are best for performance but I'd rather not have to modify anything to get them to fit.

The only reason I've really been considering a cross over pipe is best bang for your bucK I guess. I did find a used pair of LT headers for $100 on craigslist but I'm just concerned about their integrity. The H pipe is about $45 new and the X pipe is about $100 new. So I was just thinking a crossover pipe, intake (Home made bc I don't think there's a difference in tubing, I'd get a cheap tube but AFE or K&N filter), and tune would run me about the cost of headers alone.

Now if the performance gains of headers is substantial over the cross over then I'll go that route.

Also those headers on craigslist, should I consider them?